[java] Java APIs

Started by
3 comments, last by CaptainJester 18 years, 10 months ago
I've been programing in Java for a bit now but sofar I haven't even touched any addon APIs that are, supposedly, the forte of the Java language. I've recently become interested in learning to use some of these API, JAI most prominently, but cannot figure out how exactly to install them and incorporate them into my Java project. Are there any step-by-ste tutorials (and yes, I've searched google and I read the documentation on the website) or over-simplified intallation instruction anywhere on the internet? The ones I have encountered up to this point have been significantly over my head. Thanks in advance, ~SR
Advertisement
I would recommend a book. Just choose the API that best describes what capabilities your software will have and just buy or borrow books from you public library or book store and study those. Otherwise, I don't think there are any simplified documentations other than those found on Sun's own website.
how abut just an step by step tutorial on just how to set it up?
To use such API's in java you usually download the .jar and add this to your classpath. For advice using this API, yes I think SUN's Technical articles & tips (besides the official documentation) is the best source to look at.
You do have to set the classpath. You have 2 ways to do it. One is set an environment variable and the other is with a command line switch.

set classpath=.;path_to_lib_1.jar;path_to_lib_2.jar;path_to_lib_3.jar;path_to_lib_n.jar

javac -classpath .;path_to_lib_1.jar;path_to_lib_2.jar;path_to_lib_3.jar;path_to_lib_n.jar source_files.java

java -classpath .;path_to_lib_1.jar;path_to_lib_2.jar;path_to_lib_3.jar;path_to_lib_n.jar class_files
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement