company policy

Started by
4 comments, last by fastlane69 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm tring to set up new game development company (just small one) but now I'm thinking about policy for programmer (don't bring code out, don't tell secret to other firm, etc....), graphics design, game design and music composser. anyone can help me to give me an example of the policy or just suggesting of important stuff that may be I can't think for. Thank you for any sugguesting Neon
Advertisement
What you will need to look into is getting a NDA drafted up. For example, About.com has a few resources on this. The idea is that it's a contract saying as an employee, any work you do for the company belongs to the company and if you take it for yourself or share it without permission, you can have litigation actions taken against you for any damages. What you will want to happen is that you get the NDA's signed and notorized to make the official legally binding documents.
An NDA is a document that binds two parties not to reveal confidential information in order that they may discuss or form a partnership or business relationship. You need more than just an NDA. You need an employment contract, which should include a confidentiality clause.

It also need to include things such as discipliniary proceedure/appeals policy, hours of work, location of work, remuneration. In many countries companies are required by law to include particular terms or conditions in their employment contracts so, depending on where you are based it would be best to talk to a local lawyer.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Also, in cases of desertion, you need to specify that it's company policy to give employees the plague.
There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum about an attorney in Florida. He is very active in the law side of the game business. He has a $295 kit with templates for these very issues. You can purchase his kit at www.gamedevkit.com or his main site at www.gameattorney.com. He is very good about free upfront consultations as well. You could probably give him a call and ask him directly what he thinks.
good luck,
~PD
www.ChippedDagger.com"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
Quote:
It also need to include things such as discipliniary proceedure/appeals policy, hours of work, location of work, remuneration.

However, if you are outsourcing (ie freelancer, not employee) all you need is a work for hire contract and an NDA. Anything about location and hours and discipliniary, etc would be irrelevant in that case.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement