Hazy Boundries...

Started by
18 comments, last by CataclysmicKnight 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Will F
Quote:Original post by TraderJack
Basically a cyborg. Does that count as a zombie?

I'd think about sticking with the wikipedia definition of zombie:

"After resurrection, it has no will of its own, but remains under the control of the person who performed the ritual."

Regardless, there's lots of great ideas in the wikipedia entry.
I don't really like (or agree with) that definition. Zombie movies don't usually involve the zombies being controlled by anyone, they're mindless, dead, and under the control of their hunger for human flesh. Fleesssshhhh!

That's not to say that I think that you should stick to zombies as portrayed in zombie movies, I just don't agree with that particular definition. I like the idea of creative interpretations of the definition, but stretching them to fit your characters (e.g. trying to pass off a cyborg or a ghost as a zombie) is pretty poor, and not really in the spirit of the contest (at least, in my opinion).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Will F
Quote:Original post by TraderJack
Basically a cyborg. Does that count as a zombie?

I'd think about sticking with the wikipedia definition of zombie:

"After resurrection, it has no will of its own, but remains under the control of the person who performed the ritual."

Regardless, there's lots of great ideas in the wikipedia entry.

That wikipedia entry makes no mention of Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge. Inwhich the main villian is none other that the Zombie Pirate LeChuck (and none of the definitions of Zombie really cover LeChuck).
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Thing is, a robot could be a space-fighter like in X-wing style games. You just say it's an AI not a person inside...
And modern pirates don't dress up and have guns, but just act like thugs with guns...
Ninjas don't have to have fancy clothes and weapons, just awesome abilities...
And a zombie could be a deer or a fish...

I can't decide if I was judging a game which portrayed the elements in such ways, if I liked it or disapproved for them trying to find a way out!

PS: what about a software pirate?!
Quote:Original post by d000hg
I can't decide if I was judging a game which portrayed the elements in such ways, if I liked it or disapproved for them trying to find a way out!

As has been said numerous times, the real question is how the game would be percieved by the public were it a commercial title. If you find loopholes and use them to try and get out of implementing the element properly, you may still qualify but you may well get marked down for it. We're not necessarily looking for games that have zombies, ninjas, pirates or robots in - rather, games that could be marketed as having them in.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Oh, interesting. I'm thinking of all the random Mario games like Mario Tennis - "let's shoehorn Mario characters into any genre we can".

Still trying to think of an (achievable) idea which isn't a cop-out though...
Yeah, you could do "Bob the Ninja and Frank the Pirate teach the ABCs" if you really want to. It'd probably qualify as per the 'layman' test, but simply shoehorning in elements without really making use of them will probably cost you game design points.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Another question, not sure of the answer, wanted to be certain:

How independant do the elements have to be? Say you had robots fighting all types of monsters, including all the others - the pirates, ninjas and zombies - as well as other things, such as aliens, neanderthals, hippies and whatever else. Would the elements still count as in use, or just the Robot, since the other elements aren't a majority of the game?

(The idea is to have a robot fighting all the video game stereotypes, and our four elements are all big parts of it).
- Charles Jackson, Hedonism Games, developer of Crush the Critters (Alpha Jan '08!)- http://www.hedonismgames.com- Email: CataclysmicKnight@gmail.com
Quote:Original post by CataclysmicKnight
Another question, not sure of the answer, wanted to be certain:

How independant do the elements have to be? Say you had robots fighting all types of monsters, including all the others - the pirates, ninjas and zombies - as well as other things, such as aliens, neanderthals, hippies and whatever else. Would the elements still count as in use, or just the Robot, since the other elements aren't a majority of the game?

(The idea is to have a robot fighting all the video game stereotypes, and our four elements are all big parts of it).

I imagine that this kind of game will qualify, but if the elements are throwed in together just to "be there" without a coherent reason, it would be marked down for that. That's just my opinion though.
mikeman's right. You'd easily qualify, but if you don't really make use of the nature of each element in your game design you could lose points. That is, a game which contains pirates that fight with swords and attack towns from the sea is likely to score better than a game which contains pirates that are wandering aimlessly around a city and if you collide with one you die. The first game designer has clearly thought about pirates and what they are like, while the second designer has just thrown them in so they're in the game and he qualifies (in that he could have used pretty much anything in their place).

Oh yes, definitely planned on using them all fully. I just worried that because other elements were included (such as the aliens), then they did not take up enough of the game (more like 75% instead of the entirety).

Thanks for all the answers :)
- Charles Jackson, Hedonism Games, developer of Crush the Critters (Alpha Jan '08!)- http://www.hedonismgames.com- Email: CataclysmicKnight@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement