• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shashi

Shadows and such

This topic is 4727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In real life, if we had multiple lights illuminating the same area, and one of those lights were occluded, then the area would be lit as if only the remaining lights are acting right? Well I was reading a paper on shadow volumes here. Every time an area was occluded, it was darkened. How do you know how much to darken it by to ensure accuracy? Or is it just reduced by a set amount?

Advertisement
The hacky way is to darken it - for the reason that you don't really know how much to darken - it becomes trial and error to see what looks good I guess.

The best way is to start dark (or ambient of some sort) and for each light source add light to those parts of surfaces that are visible to that light. For shadow volumes I'm pretty sure this means a separate pass for each light (because the light occlusion info is stored in the stencil buffer and there's only one of those as opposed to shadow maps of which you can use more than one per pass).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!