• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
red-dragonX

trying to set up ClanLib

This topic is 4726 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, i may just get serious flack for this, but i'm a newb at this. haven't programmed in a few months and never really have programmed a game. last (fall) semester, someone recommended me ClanLib (his demo is up at the site), and since he knew i was interested in game programming, he recommended it to me. anyway, here i am, a few months later, trying to set it up. i just got done installing MS Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition, as well as Service Pack 5 for it. the service pack 5 and Platfrom SDK (at http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate) are 'requested' (within the Installation tutorial). however, when i go to the SDK link, it says the page has moved and takes me to 'Windows® Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK Web Install' page. all was dandy and i was about to download it when i noticed this further down on the page: "This SDK does not support working with Microsoft Visual C/C++®, 6.0 as support for VC 6.0 has ended." and then directs me to a page where i can order a previous SDK version on a cd that would work with MSVC 6.0 (i guess). well, i really don't want to wait for this... so uh any suggestions as to what i should do now? another question... i mentioned i was using the MS Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition. is this sufficient for me as a beginner? i plan on doing the tutorials that the ClanLib lists on its site. any thoughts/opinions? i haven't really used MSVC (we use Unix at the university and diff. compilers). keep in mind that i'm a total noob and plan on learning game programming over the summer (a good start at least!) thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I believe you can download a more up-to-date compiler for free from Microsoft, however I don't know if you can get it to work with the VC6 IDE easily. But the best way to find out if you're ok to compile ClanLib with what you have at the moment is to just try it for yourself. Personally I think the process looks a bit awkward for my liking.

thanks for replying Kylotan.

doesn't anyone here work with ClanLib? thought it was fairly popular... c'mon people.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!