• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JavaCoolDude

OpenGL
OpenGL GUI anyone? Updated on 11/17/05

207 posts in this topic

~ 800fps windowed.
~200 fullscreen

AMD 3000+
ATI Radeon 256mb 9600xt
1gb of RAM

Just an idea...

Maybe the ability to select the text in the text box.

The ability to put radio buttons into different groups so that each group of radio buttons could only have one selected at a time.

Maybe like a grid box or a grid of editable fields(forget what its called..lol).

Able to have different colored characters in a string for a label or button, ie a smiple text markup language ^1 would represent red or ^3 green, etc...

Maybe a Messagebox system (modal non-modal).

How about a custom cusor?

Hope that helps and I'll try and come up with more later.

Thanks for your feedback guys, I appreciate it a lot.
Ok so I went ahead and implemented few more things like Vertical sliders, and tiled textured buttons.
Also I simplified the setup file by breaking it into several smaller files, look into the Data/GUI folder for more details [smile]
Check the main post for the updated binaries and pictures, ok back to implementing the rest of the suggested features.
Peace
PS: Kusma, I set the radio buttons to fade and come back three times as fast as anything else in the current frame, you can change the timing by modifying the alphaFadeScale in the XML files.

[Edited by - JavaCoolDude on June 15, 2005 7:56:36 PM]

Looks like a great GUI, can't wait to see it in some games. The one improvment that I found immediately is the fact that arrows keys don't work in the text boxes, and I use the arrow keys all the time. Just an idea.

Other than that, and the improvements already stated, looks really nice, can't wait to see the code :)

~Zix~

EDIT: And it runs at ~1000 FPS on my system, 2.6 ghz, Gefroce 6600

Really good job! :D

430 FPS with default windowed size
210 FPS with 1280*1024 windowed size

CPU: Intel P4 3GHz (Prescott 478)
RAM: 1GB PC3200
Card: ATI Radeon 9600 256MB DDR (Sapphire)

hmm as this is an on going thread which might be of intrest to some people i'm gonna sticky it for a while, as a decent GUI is something alot of people have been asking for [smile]

W00t, thanks Phantom my man :D
Now I am trying to remove the GUI dependance from my own engine, I would like one of you fellas to provide me with a simple GLUT application with a mouse and keyboard listener as well as a main loop [smile]

[Edited by - JavaCoolDude on June 15, 2005 9:21:41 PM]

Very nice, hope to make one this good myself.

~270 FPS
CPU: 2.8GHz Celeron
GPU: 128MB ATI Radeon 9250 Xtasy Series
RAM: 1GB PC3200

Quote:
Original post by JavaCoolDude
Now I would like one of you fellas to provide me with a simple GLUT application with a mouse and keyboard listener and a main loop; I'm trying to remove the GUI dependance from my own engine :)

#include "glut.h"

void changeSize( int w, int h )
{
// Prevent a divide by zero, when window is too short
// (you cant make a window of zero width).
if(h == 0)
h = 1;

float ratio = 1.0f * w / h;
// Reset the coordinate system before modifying
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();

// Set the viewport to be the entire window
glViewport(0, 0, w, h);

// Set the clipping volume
gluPerspective( 45, ratio, 1, 1000 );
glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
glLoadIdentity();
}

void initScene()
{
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
}

void renderScene(void)
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

glutSwapBuffers();
}

void processNormalKeys(unsigned char key, int x, int y)
{
if (key == 27)
exit(0);
}

void inputKey(int key, int x, int y)
{
switch (key)
{
case GLUT_KEY_LEFT :
break;

case GLUT_KEY_RIGHT :
break;

case GLUT_KEY_UP :
break;

case GLUT_KEY_DOWN :
break;
}
}

void processMouse(int button, int state, int x, int y)
{
int specialKey = glutGetModifiers();

// if both a mouse button, and the ALT key, are pressed then
if ((state == GLUT_DOWN) && (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_ALT))
{
// set the color to pure red for the left button
// if (button == GLUT_LEFT_BUTTON)

// set the color to pure green for the middle button
//else if (button == GLUT_MIDDLE_BUTTON)

// set the color to pure blue for the right button
// else
}
}

void processMouseActiveMotion(int x, int y) {

//if (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_SHIFT)

//else if (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_CTRL)

//else if (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_ALT)

//else
}

void processMousePassiveMotion(int x, int y)
{
//if (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_SHIFT)

//else if (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_CTRL)

//else if (specialKey == GLUT_ACTIVE_ALT)

//else
}

void processMouseEntry(int state)
{
//if ( state == GLUT_LEFT )

//if( state == GLUT_ENTERED )
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
glutInit(&argc, argv);
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DEPTH | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGBA);
glutInitWindowPosition(100,100);
glutInitWindowSize(640,360);
glutCreateWindow("GLUT");

initScene();

// Keyboard
glutKeyboardFunc(processNormalKeys);
glutSpecialFunc(inputKey);

// Display and Idle
glutDisplayFunc(renderScene);
glutIdleFunc(renderScene);

glutReshapeFunc(changeSize);

// Mouse stuff
glutMouseFunc(processMouse);
glutMotionFunc(processMouseActiveMotion);
glutPassiveMotionFunc(processMousePassiveMotion);
glutEntryFunc(processMouseEntry);

glutMainLoop();

return(0);
}

Ok here is something put together from a lot of the LightHouse3D Glut tutorials. If you take a look at the tutorials under the 'Input' category, it shows the mouse and keyboard stuff in more detail as to what you can use.

For more information on stuff that you can use, right click on a define'd expression and 'Go to declaration' to see more of it's kind. Good luck!

WOW! it ran steady at 1000fps.

athlon 3200 (32bit)
1gb pc3200
9800pro

btw dude ive seen your work, absolutely awesome!!! u seem to be a god of graphic programming. i hope to be as good as you someday...

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Ok here is something put together from a lot of the LightHouse3D Glut tutorials. If you take a look at the tutorials under the 'Input' category, it shows the mouse and keyboard stuff in more detail as to what you can use.

For more information on stuff that you can use, right click on a define'd expression and 'Go to declaration' to see more of it's kind. Good luck!

Thanks dude, the code you posted helped me out a lot.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, announcing SXML GUI 0.5 for WIN users, grab it right here while it's still hot.
Here's a list of what you get:
Buttons, TextBoxes, vertical and horizontal sliders, Radio Buttons, CheckBoxes, Panels, Separators, Labels.
A TextureLoader and manager, no image would be loaded twice ;)
A MediaPathManager.
A lousy XML loader [pig]
Some other cool stuff.

I haven't used Linux that much therefore I have no clue on how to go about implementing a robust timer in the said environment. If anyone out there can look at the code and modify Tools/FPSCounter and Tools/Benchmark to whatever Linux uses you'll be my hero...well for a day or two :D

Oh wow, that's great! I just tried it in the GLUT example and I must say, quite impressive! When I get my dev computer up and running in a week or so, I will definitly start messing with this library [wink] Thanks for all the hard work!

yeah nice work mate, the demo run's just fine ...haven't had a chance yet to play around with it but will do in the next few days

okay, i think you kinda misunderstood me ;)
the fade i was talking about wasn't the hover-fade, but rather the selection-change-fade. another note is that in the 0.5-release, moving the cursor in textboxes with the arrow-keys seems to be broken. as a user, i would also like to be able to select a chunk of text with both shift+arrow-keys and the mouse-cursor if possible. other than that, this seems like a really nice gui-library, by the way :)

how would you make this GUI in pure openGL/glut style mode..kinda like what JavaDude was asking about? i mean yeah you have your textures and your font etc etc but i guess how do you make them react to each other.. i guess by checking mouse over or something, i concur that someone would get some major props for writing a tut on this :)

Although I think it's great what you've done, what I'm interested in is how does one link actions to the widgets? If I have a void Quit(void) function, how do I bind it to a button? I've taken a quick look at the source of the demo, but the widgets there don't seem to be connected to anything. Could you give an example of how you bind functions?

Yup, in the GLUT example if look for this section of the code in the Main.cpp file:

void EventsHandler::actionPerformed(GUIEvent evt)
{
const String &callbackString = evt.getCallbackString();
GUIRectangle *sourceRectangle = evt.getEventSource();
int widgetType = sourceRectangle->getWidgetType();

if(widgetType == CHECK_BOX)
{
GUICheckBox *checkBox = (GUICheckBox*)sourceRectangle;
}

if(widgetType == SLIDER)
{
GUISlider *slider = (GUISlider*)sourceRectangle;
if(callbackString == "s1")
slider->setLabelString(String("Slider 1: ") + int(slider->getProgress()*10));

if(callbackString == "s2")
slider->setLabelString(String("Slider 2: ") + int(slider->getProgress()*10));
}

if(widgetType == BUTTON)
{
GUIButton *button = (GUIButton*)sourceRectangle;
if(callbackString == "exit")
if(button->isClicked())
exit(0);
}

if(widgetType == RADIO_BUTTON)
{
GUIRadioButton *radioButton = (GUIRadioButton*)sourceRectangle;
}

}

If the user performs any of the following actions on a given widget

bool isMouseOver();
bool isReleased();
bool isFocused();
bool isDragged();
bool isClicked();
bool isPressed();

the actionPerformed function in the EventHandler will be called. Let's concentrate on this particular chunk:

if(widgetType == BUTTON)
{
GUIButton *button = (GUIButton*)sourceRectangle;
if(callbackString == "exit")
if(button->isClicked())
exit(0);
}

The code says if the widget that the user interacted with is of type BUTTON, the above chunk will be executed. More precisely, if your button has a callback string "exit" defined in your XML GUI layout, the function exit(0) will be called when your said widget is clicked "isClicked()"

Remember to register an EventHandler to stream all of your widgets events into a particular location [smile]

Ouch.

I thought that was where it was happening.It works ok for small programs and demos, but if you need to make the GUI for an RTS or a RPG like this it'll be terrible.

Not necessarily, one can always retrieve the name of the parent panel and direct the event to another function, check this out:

GUIPanel *parentPanel = (GUIPanel *)evt.getEventSource()->getParent();
const String &callbackString = evt.getCallbackString();
const String &parentName = parentPanel->getCallbackString();

if(parentName == "SomeRandomName")
{
someOtherEventHandler.actionPerformed(evt);
return;
}

That way we can separate things out depending on the panel where the action has occured, besides there are few other tricks as well, let me finish this tutorial and I'll come back to you. Unless you have a better way to approach this problem [smile]

Ok here comes a quick tutorial:
Here we want to implement three sliders that control the background color of our application.
Since we don't want to stuff more code in the existent XML files, for simplicity sake we will create another file: ColorSliders.xml
We want the sliders to be grouped all together and located in the upper-right corner of our window, let's start off by creating the panel that will hold em together

<Panel name = "Color Sliders Group"
layout = "CEN_YAXIS"
anchorPoint = "CORNERRU"
drawBounds = "true"
drawBackground = "true">
</Panel>

In the above code, the group name is "Color Sliders Group", every group need a name otherwise it won't be attached to the GUI at runtime.
The layout is "cascading and centered around the y axis", meaning that anything added to the group will be relocated right under the previous element.
The anchor point is where we want the center of the Panel to be considered, there are five options explained in the next ASCII drawing:

CORNERLU CORNERRU
( )-----------------( )
| |
| CENTER |
| |
( )-----------------( )
CORNERLD CORNERRD

drawBounds tells the Panel whether we want visible bounds or not.
drawBackground tells the Panel whether we want a visible background or not.
Since we want our panel to sit in the top-right corner of our main window, let's add this line:

<Position x = "-10" y = "10"/>

If x is negative, it tells the parent panel that the current widget's center should be placed n pixels away from its right border.

Ok let's add a visible title to our panel

layout = "CEN_YAXIS"
anchorPoint = "CORNERRU"
drawBounds = "true"
drawBackground = "true">

<Label name = "Title">
<Text string = "Color Sliders" fontIndex ="1" wScale = "0.5" hScale = "0.5">
<Color r = "255" g = "180" b = "40" />
</Text>
</Label>
</Panel>

The title is simply a Label, we want the font to be the SECOND decalred one in the main GUILayout.xml file. Since the original size of the font is too big, we scale it down along the xaxis by half (wScale = "0.5") and do the same for the height of the label (hScale = "0.5").
The Color components are defined as:
Red could be x, X, r or R
Green could be g, G, Y or y
Blue could be b, B, z, Z
If the value of any color component is above 1, it will automatically be divided by 255. Therefore for a totally blue color, we set r and g to 0, and b to either 1.0 or 255.0.

Ok now that we're done with the title, let's add a thin line to separate things out:

layout = "CEN_YAXIS"
anchorPoint = "CORNERRU"
drawBounds = "true"
drawBackground = "true">
<Label name = "Title">
</Text>
</Label>

<Separator ratio = "1.0" />
</Panel>

The line will stretch from one side to the other since the ratio is "1.0", ratio will always be clamped to the [0.01 1.0] range.

Now here comes the important part, the sliders:
A single slider will look like this

<Slider callbackString = "red"
progress = "0.0">
<Text string = "Red" />
</Slider>

From that code we get to know that the slider disc will be initially set all the way to the left since progress is zero, the callback string is "red" and the visible title is also "Red". Using this same example we extend our panel to include two more sliders, here's the final result:

layout = "CEN_YAXIS"
anchorPoint = "CORNERRU"
drawBounds = "true"
drawBackground = "true">

<BordersColor x = "216" y = "169" z = "0" />
<BGColor x = "50" y = "50" z = "50" />

<Label name = "Title">
</Text>
</Label>

<Separator ratio = "1.0" />

<Slider callbackString = "red"
progress = "0.0">
<Text string = "Red" />
</Slider>

<Slider callbackString = "green"
progress = "0.0">
<Text string = "Green" />
</Slider>

<Slider callbackString = "blue"
progress = "0.0">
<Text string = "Blue" />
</Slider>

</Panel>

Copy and save that code into let's say ColorSliders.xml

Once we're done with that, let's go ahead an open the main GUI file, GUILayout.xml:
Let's add this entry under Font

<Panel description = "ColorSliders.xml" />

Voila, we have our sliders [smile]

We're not done yet, we want them to modify the background color as we drag them around.
In Main.cpp, let's add these 3 float variables:

float red = 0.0f,
green = 0.0f,
blue = 0.0f;

In the renderScene() function, let's add this line right after counter.markFrameStart();

[code]
glClearColor(red, green, blue, 0.0f);
[code]

Now in "void EventsHandler::actionPerformed(GUIEvent evt)" right after

if(callbackString == "s2")
slider->setLabelString(String("Slider 2: ") + int(slider->getProgress()*10));

add these lines

if(callbackString == "red") red = slider->getProgress();
if(callbackString == "blue") blue = slider->getProgress();
if(callbackString == "green") green = slider->getProgress();

TADA, we're done compile and give it a go [smile]

++rating for you javacooldude :) that will get me started at least. ive NEVER doen any xml so all this is new to me. i was wondering where all the string functions were coming from but realized i guess this is built into the xml language. one question now.. is this portable.. i mean will this work on lets say a linux system? :)

Quote:
Original post by OpenGL_Guru
++rating for you javacooldude :) that will get me started at least. ive NEVER doen any xml so all this is new to me. i was wondering where all the string functions were coming from but realized i guess this is built into the xml language. one question now.. is this portable.. i mean will this work on lets say a linux system? :)

If you figure out how to implement a timer in Linux and manage to modify my Tools/FPSCounter and Tools/Timer, you're gold [smile]

Quote:
If you figure out how to implement a timer in Linux and manage to modify my Tools/FPSCounter and Tools/Timer, you're gold

UGHH -- well in linux i really dont care about the FPS counter or keeping track of the FPS counter.

im gonna work on it and try things out though....

also gonan look at the GLUT version you have there.. oh yeah if you still need that favor, whatever that is, lemme know :)