• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JavaCoolDude

OpenGL
OpenGL GUI anyone? Updated on 11/17/05

207 posts in this topic

haha yes OpenGUI is good. when i thought of this working with openGL. i came up with OpenGUI. it just makes sense, such as OpenAL for audio, or OpenTNL for networking. and OpenGUI would of course for gfx user inteface. the word OPENx usually gives people an impression that its OpenGL releated.

OpenGUI has already been used http://www.tutok.sk/fastgl/

Forgive me, but the word "Open" usually indicates to me that it's an open source implementation of something closed; OpenBSD, OpenMOSIX, OpenSSH, OpenMotif (for those old enough to remember), etc.

Hell, OpenGLUI would even better express that it's a UI and using OpenGL, but that even sounds like letter soup to me.

Who knows?

OpenGLUI or plain GLUI sounds good to me, ciroknight, sorry for the delay in responding to your email, do you mind if I answer your suggestions right here?
I'd like to have a max number of people reviewing them to make sure we're on the right track.
BRB, I need to clean up my place [wink]

Don't mind at all, spent most of the day reading harry potter (shameful secret someone my age)...

I just sent an email because, well, it is your code.. kinda a politeness thing.

Quote:

If you've read my earlier posts, you'll see that I've been maintaining
two different path ways of doing the move to TinyXML:

1) Modifying the IOXMLObject and the XMLParser class to make calls
directly into TinyXML. This is ineffecient (ends up with functions
that's entire purpose is to call other functions), but it effectively
hides TinyXML from the user, and is very unobtrusive to the project as
it stands.

2) Replacing both classes with a class called XMLArbiter; XMLArbiter
accesses TinyXML once per session, running through the entire XML
file, grabbing all of the objects, and loading them into STL
containers. While this approach takes more memory, it allows for a lot
more flexibility within the project; for example with this setup it
should be entirely possible for the object to check to see if the file
has been modified, and if it has, reload the file, and immediately had
the new information available for the GUI. This would be helpful for
the editor type program we discussed on the forum. The disadvantages
are that this class is not small; it's a monolithic solution to the
problem, and if, for example, we want to add more GUI elements, you'll
have to modify this class to be able to deal with it. One way to deal
with that, of course, is to make the interface pluggable, but I think
that the configuration files should be small enough not to warrant
doing this. (How the (&*#^$ could a configuration file be heavy enough
to warrant this?!)

Quite frankly I’m more lenient towards the second solution, if you don’t have something pretty far advanced I would also like to attempt porting the project to using TinyXML myself.

Quote:

<With the latter, I've went ahead and made some simple modifications to
the XML format the window loader would be using;
===GUIConfig.xml===
<config>
<Window visible="true" name="Window a">
#top/bottom are just temporary names, don't ask me what they really
#should end up being. I'm sure you can find a more technical name ;)
<position topx="" topy="" bottomx="" bottomy=""/>
<color type="bgcolor" r="" g="" b="" a=""/>
<color type="fontcolor" r="" g="" b=""/>
<color type="bordercolor" r="" g="" b=""/>

<texture type="TEXTURE_2D" path="opengl.jpg"/>

While I totally dig the new color tags, I’m opposed to the way the position and dimensions of widgets is handled.
See in my approach a position that ranges from 0.01 to 1 implies that the current widget anchor point will be placed within the parent panel according to that ration. For example 0.5 coupled with anchor point set to “CORNERLU” implies that the widget upper left corner must be position in the center of the parent panel at any given time.
Also the dimensions and positions of widgets are not always fixed, I have this set of functions “pack” that scans through the children of a panel and adjusts their position dimensions. Combining the “position” and “dimension” tags will create a heck lot of confusion therefore for now I would like to stick with the old convention

Quote:

<panel>
#panel should adhere to the same system as window.
#positions of panels should be relative to the window.
<position topx="" topy="" bottomx="" bottomy="">
<color type="bgcolor" r="" g="" b=""/>

<texture type="TEXTURE_2D" path="panelbg.jpg"/>

</panel>

<tabpanel name="Hah">
<panel name="Panel 1" index="1">
<position topx="" topy="" bottomx="" bottomy="">
<color type="bgcolor" r="" g="" b=""/>
<texture type="TEXTURE_2D" path="panelbg.jpg"/>

<button callbackName="TP1Button1">
<color z = "255" x = "0" y = "0" />

<text string = "Blue Button" />
</button>

<button callbackName="TP1Button2">
<texture type="TEXTURE_2D"
filename="buttons/buttona.png">
<texcoordsdesc xstart="" xend=""
ystart="" yend="" type="BUTTON_FACE"/>
</texture>
</button>
</panel>
<panel name="Panel 2" index="2">

</panel>
#etcetera.
</tabpanel>

</Window>

<Window visible="true" name="Window a">
</Window>
</config>

==(Fonts.xml)==========
<fontlist>

</fontlist>

==(guitextures.xml)=======
<textures>
<Texture filename="texture.png" type="TEXTURE_2D"
mode="modulate" mipmap="true">
<TexCoordsDesc xStart = "201" yStart = "2" xEnd = "233"
yEnd = "34" type = "SLIDER"/>
<TexCoordsDesc xStart = "167" yStart = "2" xEnd = "199"
yEnd = "34" type = "CHECK_BOX"/>
<TexCoordsDesc xStart = "131" yStart = "1" xEnd = "165"
yEnd = "35" type = "CHECK_BOX_MARK"/>
<TexCoordsDesc xStart = "1" yStart = "1" xEnd = "65"
yEnd = "66" type = "RADIO_BUTTON"/>
<TexCoordsDesc xStart = "66" yStart = "2" xEnd = "130"
yEnd = "66" type = "CHECK_RB_MARK"/>
<Wrap s = "REPEAT" t = "REPEAT" />
<Filter mag = "LINEAR"
min = "LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" />
</Texture>
</textures>
========================
Of course, the above is only a quick example of what the new layout
would look like. Personally, I really don't like chain-loading XML
files to get the whole interface, and this will be helped by having a
GUI editor tool, and the interfacing being consistant and reliable.
Making everything a child of "config" instead of a child of "panel"
removes the requirement that everything is a panel. Adding "window"
allows for the ability to close and restore the windows at leisure. I
also think it should be possible to move the initial textures (the
ones that draw widgets) to their own file. Font's should follow the
same; "game.xml, fonts.xml, guitextures.xml". This makes it more clear
to the developers. You can include the fonts and guitextures in the
initial file as well, but I think there's enough to warrant moving
them outside (well, maybe fonts and guitextures can be combined to
"guielements.xml" or something).

Adding a window class is part of my plans for future releases. Actually I have a beta version of this GUI package that implements them and allows the user to drag em around in the main rendering canvas.
It’s a pretty neat thing I must say.

Sorry I have to go now but I will come back later to address few other points

Quote:
Original post by ciroknight
Forgive me, but the word "Open" usually indicates to me that it's an open source implementation of something closed; OpenBSD, OpenMOSIX, OpenSSH, OpenMotif (for those old enough to remember), etc.

Hell, OpenGLUI would even better express that it's a UI and using OpenGL, but that even sounds like letter soup to me.

Who knows?

yeah actually openGLUI doesnt too bad, nor does GLUI. i would go for openGLUI, makes you think of opengl more.

Yeah, you can take OpenGLUI name, since I have OpenGL GUI, OpenGL GUI @ http://openglgui.sourceforge.net, so there will be no problem mistaking those two :)

Well then.. I'd say we'd better jump on our "OpenGluey" mess and get ourselves an SF project tonight; I'll check my code in so you can see how far I've gotten (a long way, but I've still got a long way to go, too). I can have a better estimate later after I get everything in.

Oh, and HellRizzer, thanks for the heads up; I was wondering if that project was still alive.. You're free to jump on to help us out as well, if you so choose... we're using a much more liberal license (zlib), so that might be a turn-on or a turn-off depending on how professional you are, but I thought I'd at least lend out the hand.

By the way, I was kinda wondering how we wanted to do nesting; the way I have the XMLArbiter class implemented right now, it's possible to put a tabpanel inside a tabpanel as deep as you want to go, as long as they all belong to a window object, and as long as they all belong to a panel object, even if that panel is just the previous' tabpanel's first panel. Same goes for an ordinary panel object. Should we put an arbitrary stop on how many layers deep an object can go?

Also, I've been working on a list of elements we should have by Feature Freeze for version 1.0, and I'll post that when I upload my source to the CVS server later tonight. Lots of wild ideas for that one :-).

And has anyone built the latest source under linux and noticed that the letters are oddly fuzzy, or is that my graphics card being stupid again?

go for openglui definetly then, if glui has been taken. might want to take it soon before someone else takes it lol.

how do you change the GUI while running the program. like from GUI.xml to GUI2.xml, but deleting the first one??

Hey JavaCoolDude,

2 questions, 1 comment.

Comment-
Love your work, looks fantanstic. I have been playing with GLGOOEY, but Im thinking yours is cleaner and simpler.

Question 1)
Can your panels/windows be made to be dragable or are they already?

Question 2)
Could your panels be made to play a quicktime (.mov) or any other type of movie format?

Im working on a project that requires a movie/flash to be displayed in a portion of a panel. One example is the left corner of the panel 200x200 runs a movie and the other portion of the panel has controls on it.

Thanks for your time!

Brian

Question 1)
Can your panels/windows be made to be dragable or are they already?

I experimented with that for a bit in an unreleased version and I came accross some issues caused by the way I'm packing the widgets tightly into the parent panel.
I might give it another go sometime later (after SIGGRAPH)

Question 2)
Could your panels be made to play a quicktime (.mov) or any other type of movie format?

Sure thing, after you load your GUI frame into your program, seek your target Panel (or textured button for that matter) by using the function, getWidgetByCallbackString. After getting a pointer to your widget, simply use the setTexture function where your argument is a Texture object playing your movie.

[smile]

just wondering, if you can release the source code for the lib files. i want to see if i can port this code to the psp or the ps2. also can you post a sample of how to play movie clips in the gui frames. and what file formats can be played?

I don't have the source for the png libs, you can google it out though.
Same goes for the tinyxml stuff.
I guess I can write a quick demo that plays an mpg or wmv file into a GUI panel, let me see what I can do :P

cool let me know when you got a sample up. Also. for this gui. if i wanted for say get this gui to read txt from a file can that be done? such as a dialog box where you usually see in an rpg, or a game. with mutiple lines of talking.

Very cool project.
Grats to JCD.

I changed 0.8 a bit so the combobox uses a slider control to scroll entries instead of them going past the bottom of the window when there are too many and wrapped all the IO in Hans Dietrich's XUnzip (http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/xzipunzip.asp). Had to recompile glpng since it uses STDIO and doesn't accept a buffer pointer. Works great now loading everything from a zip to memory and not using any temp files for the PNGs. Makes redist 4 a small win32 app a lot cleaner.

Currently working on merging parts of SXMLEngine with it to try and get FireText into the modded 0.8.

Overall it's a really nice project. Needs a TextArea though. Is it up on SourceForge yet? All the names suggested all sound the same, nobody will ever google it they'll just find someone else's project. It should go up as sxml_gui or some unique sounding name that wont be confused.

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone; I'm truly busy at the moment and I can barely squeeze some time in to check my email let alone do any side work.
Anyone can feel free to setup a sourceforge project and put all of the files we had so far up there, like I said before all my work is for this community [smile].
I should be releasing a new demo tomorrow which would be my very last GL project, after that I will try and give this GUI package a little more attention, at least till we get to the 1.0 version.
Implementing a text area seems like a neat idea, I'll look into that :)

My computer back home is broke, I'm putting a new rig together sometimes tomorrow night. Please wait until then, thanks for your patience [smile]

not sure how relevant this is to this thread, but for you guys doing UI in openGL it might be worth to look at our gui we did for vsx ultra (which is free).
this is my own thoughts on how a gui for this type of program should be and is most likely not applicable on other kinds of software.. although we've done quite a few widgets, buttons, labels, edit boxes, code editor with syntax highlighting etc.

Vovoid VSX Ultra

when the framework is a bit cleaner and so on we might release the code for the UI..