Making flash games

Started by
2 comments, last by Yosh 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I've been studying 2D game design and programming with C++, and I've come a long way since not knowing a clue about making games, and I seem eager to start to create my own project from scratch. I'd probably do this straight away with C++, but I do want my game to be easily accessable, like simply loading up a web page -> that is I want my game to be in flash. (not many people do like to download exe files, or go through a setup wizard) But I don't even have flash installed, maybe that should probably be my next step, but first I'd like to ask you guys (and girls) of your experience with flash game programming, and how it differs from C++ game development. I'm just making a simple 2D game with a scrolling background. Does anyone have a good articles|tutorials on how to create flash games? I've never done anything with flash (maybe a tiny bit when it was called FutureSplash! :)) (If I lived anywhere else in the world I'd probably go out and buy me a book on this subject, but as I'm in Iceland we only have a limited selection of computer tech books available in ONE book store in Iceland. So I would have to order it online, wait 2-3 weeks, and then pay 2-3 times the normal price.)
Advertisement
Flash is certainly a viable option for certain games, because you get an extensive graphics API and a massive user base without any hassle. However, Flash is dead slow when it comes to rendering complicated graphics so scrollers and such are out of the question. But for point-n-click games or even RPG-like stuff Flash is a very powerful platform. Programming with it is a little tedious, but actionscript has come a long way and there's a lot you can do with it, even networked games are perfectly doable.

The web is full of Flash tutorials and the syntax is much like C nowadays, so you should be able to produce something in a reasonable timespan.
If you ever programming in &#106avascript you'll feel right at home.<br>Most of the work will be learning the flash interface and stage and adding code.<br>Same principles apply to making a side scroller game in flash as in c++ or allegro,sdl,directx,java,etc..
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I haven't done any programming in flash, however, I heard ActionScript has come a long way and is easy to work with (apparently it uses OO and all that wonderful stuff). You can download a 30 day, fully functional, trial of Macromedia's Flash MX, so I'd give that a shot if I were you. [smile]

EDIT - Oh yes, get a tablet. A tablet is the BEST for drawing anything on a computer. Trust me. A Graphire 3, which is all you'll ever need (probably), is roughly $120 to $130 USD, so start saving! [smile]
________________________________"Fetch me a rope, lynch mob of one." - Randy Blythe, Lamb of God."The masses are asses." - Unkown.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement