• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Moses2k

Procedurally generated 'galaxy-to-individual NPC' scale simulator/game creation tool

This topic is 4727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm Chris. First post...my game-creating experience is mainly in the realm of Qbasic text adventures & a Yuppie Wars clone as a kid =/ ; I've had small experience with Game Maker, I'm a C++ novice, decent modeler, a UT2K4 mapper/modder for Alien Swarm (mainly bizarre joke maps :s)...also a visual artist and pianist. Terribly impressive, I'm sure. ;) I'm aware of the grandeur and complexity of the game idea I'm proposing here, so let's just consider this as speculation with a view to the best-possible iteration of this game given current technology. ((meant to be viewed at 1280x1024+)) Procedurally generated 'galaxy-to-individual NPC' scale simulator/game creation tool -Seamless 'galaxy to star system to planet to character' scale first-person game: -'Foldspacing' for inter-stellar travel the easy way -Discover the artifacts of long-dead races -Seek out strange new xeno races...& fight them! (or chat them up) -Nano-build any scanned object -Create an empire through diplomacy, commerce, & conquest ...and find a way to return to your own galaxy if you still consider it home **Seamless galactic-solar-planetary engine (Ysaneya's project) **Procedural cities (and perhaps cave systems) including full building interiors, (ala Descensor) -Buildings/rooms planned based on purpose -Architectural styles moddable by designer/player **Procedurally generated simulated sapient and non-sapient species -Preferably designer/player created in-game, rather than left to purely random processes -Racial traits/values simulated: scientific, ritualistic, expansionistic, militaristic, etc. -Creature's mesh designable and procedurally animated (ala Second-Life & Spore) -Individual NPCs inherit traits of race, modified by NPC's class and a random factor -Visual art could be imported as textures & textured meshes, &/or could be simulated based on racial color symbolism, fetish objects, racial values -Music should probably be left to an orchestral and electronica soundtrack & a built-in jukebox (procedural music may be possible, but the thought makes me shudder :p) -Generated dance & drama would be interestingly bizarre :/ (Vogon poetry anyone?) -Religion would be based on an NPC's need for understanding and growth -Also, a frequent (in human cultures) purpose of religion is control & direction of the under-classes...to whatever end...very open as to how this would implemented -Based on the status of the culture at that time, a certain unity or disparity of religions will be generated...each faction values certain things/ideas -Personally, the idea of a computer simulating religion (in any sense other than social) irks me... it should be left to an individual scenario's designer **Generated language based on many allowed phonemes, including grunts, hisses, clicks, etc. -Multiple voice actors, or text-to-speech system to produce the alien sounds -Pitch and tone moddable to simulate ranges from heavy & guttural to a wispy & breathless -Words created for known objects, concepts, conjunctions, etc. -Player equipped with 'universal translator' which provides a text translation (supporting major langauges) or perhaps picture symbols -Translator will fill in small, greyed out *unknown*'s with various frequency to simulate the complexities of language which current tech can't support **Player communicates with a text-line parser (ala Interactive Fiction) which may be fed, in-line, by speech recognition, then edited for accuracy as need-be -Further, right-click menu provides topic tree containing all known verbs & nouns (including proper nouns: known names of systems, planets, places, people) **In-game world builder -Most randomly seeded processes can, instead, be defined by designer/player -Galaxy scale/type; star-type, intra-solar bodies; terrain, city generation seed, direct placement of objects -Provisions should be made for directly scripting NPC responses, so the game could be more reasonably be a basis for adventure & RPG style games -Obviously we (royal we) want to create a simulation of higher fidelity and interest than, for instance, Daggerfall (an example of a massive, but repetitive world) -While the computer should be able to turn all the proverbial knobs to generate an entirely random scenario, this (though interesting) would not the point **Add in human government, territories, etc...and you have the basis for diplomacy, recon, and covert missions -Which brings up the challenging puzzle of programming the race-generator to simulate a decently accurate far-future human race (including major landmarks on Earth) -Generate a non-existent human language so as to avoid the 'suspension of disbelief' issue of having an NPC talk in computerish English **Major calculations done at start: generating galaxy, space-faring races' traits and spheres of influence (perhaps all based on simulation of planetary evolutionary history) -Non-space-faring sapients (as if there were space-faring NON-sapients!) :s would be generated upon entering a suitable solar system -AI relevance/LOD will, of course, be a major issue, considering the proposed depth of the simulation **Content data uploaded to master server, where it's checked for quality and set as downloadable by client machines (ala Spore) **Optimally this would be an open-source project **And ultimately, this is about creating a sim that's fun, interesting, believable, & immersive rather than strictly realistic I'd like any comments you'd wish to make regarding technology, feasibility, and the overall concept. [Edited by - Moses2k on July 12, 2005 4:41:19 PM]

Advertisement
I actually already thought about doing that (even started writing, got the galaxy working) but it's sort of too large scale project for me.

Strangely enough, your "The Galaxy" demo was one of my inspirations. So hiya. :)

So, yes, the project size is immense, and I doubt much of a sponsor could be found for the project. It only seems feasable as an open-source project, assuming enough persons of skill would be interested. I would love to team up with, or at least eventually use the engine of Ysaneya. Most of the technologies spoken of have already been researched and source code may be available free for non-commercial use.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!