• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What image format do you use for textures?

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
TGAs mostly during development, but usually DDS or PNG when I'm ready to release something.

-Mezz

I use TGA.

What are the advantages of DDS format? I thik they store all the mipmap versions of a texture in one big file?

Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
What are the advantages of DDS format?

Lots:

- Basically every surface format is supported. eg. DXT*, floating point textures, YUY2, etc.
- Storage of cube and volume maps.
- Allows storage of precomputed mip maps.

advantage of .dds ? they can store mipmap levels, cubemaps, etc. AND they can be in a DXTn compressed format, which is supported by recent hardwares, and save A LOT of memory in the graphic card !
For example, a 4096x4096 .tga is around 49MBytes (on disk AND graphic card) whereas a 4096x4096 .dds in DXT5 format is only 16MBytes (on disk AND graphic card) ... it means more than three time more textures available for your game.

Quote:
Original post by Buttza
Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
What are the advantages of DDS format?

- Allows storage of precomputed mip maps.

How often is that option used? It inflates the file size, when you can just produce them at runtime as you load. Unless you want to have different pictures for the various mip levels, why would you do this?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!