What image format do you use for textures?

Started by
30 comments, last by MasterWorks 18 years, 10 months ago
I used to use bitmaps and manually add an alpha channel. Now I use png's. So what image format do you use for your textures?
Advertisement
Compressed DirectDraw Surfaces (DDS) in various formats where appropriate.
TGAs mostly during development, but usually DDS or PNG when I'm ready to release something.

-Mezz
I'm wondering, what is the acceptable texture size for a skybox face? What do you guys use?
--Avengers UTD Chronicles - My game development blog
png here as well.
TGA here.
I use TGA.

What are the advantages of DDS format? I thik they store all the mipmap versions of a texture in one big file?
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
What are the advantages of DDS format?

Lots:

- Basically every surface format is supported. eg. DXT*, floating point textures, YUY2, etc.
- Storage of cube and volume maps.
- Allows storage of precomputed mip maps.
advantage of .dds ? they can store mipmap levels, cubemaps, etc. AND they can be in a DXTn compressed format, which is supported by recent hardwares, and save A LOT of memory in the graphic card !
For example, a 4096x4096 .tga is around 49MBytes (on disk AND graphic card) whereas a 4096x4096 .dds in DXT5 format is only 16MBytes (on disk AND graphic card) ... it means more than three time more textures available for your game.
Quote:Original post by Buttza
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
What are the advantages of DDS format?

- Allows storage of precomputed mip maps.

How often is that option used? It inflates the file size, when you can just produce them at runtime as you load. Unless you want to have different pictures for the various mip levels, why would you do this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement