• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DinGY

3D Engine first ?

This topic is 4809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have one stupid question, I have already read 3 Books of C++ Programming, right now i want to practice my C++ Programming Skill on making game, so should i start learning DirectX or using exist 3D Engine ? please give me suggestion.

Advertisement
Okay, you've said you've read the books, but what have you made?

Before going into 3D, DirectX, OpenGl, Torque, etc etc I suggest making at least a Pong clone.

Once you done that, try 2D things, but if you are really jumpy about 3D, I suggest playing with an existing engine to create a game... It's hard enough for a newbie to make their first game, let alone worry about their graphics engine :)

Ok I have a list of progression that might be useful to ya:

1st: Small console apps (guess the number, rock-paper-scissors)
2nd: Use a small library like Allegro or sdl (Tetris, Pong)
3rd: Begin using directx and/or openGL (space shooter)
4th: Begin using an already made engine and looking at the source code
5th: Begin working on your own engine

Quote:
Original post by invisal
I have one stupid question, I have already read 3 Books of C++ Programming, right now i want to practice my C++ Programming Skill on making game, so should i start learning DirectX or using exist 3D Engine ? please give me suggestion.

I'd say it'd be best to learn Direct3D or OpenGL BEFORE you start tinkering with engines - you know, to get a feel for things - to understand how things work.

However, I'm an artist, and even though I did dabble into OpenGL, C/C++, Python and all that jazz in the past, my advice isn't worth a whole lot. [grin]

If you're just starting game development I'd recommend beginning with 2D. Yeah, it not as exciting, but much of what you learn will be applicable to 3D games as well. If you have the basics of 2D games (an application framework, loading and manipulating sprites, collision detection, pathfinding, etc) a later move to 3D will be less overwhelming.

To add weight to the start with 2d argument: that's what I did, and even with lots of programming experience, there were still plenty of challenges and things to learn.

Check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067232461X/qid=1118863728/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2936544-4554343?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It teaches you how to make a 2D gaming engine.

Begin by using one of the APIS (DirectX/OpenGL/Java3d...). Then when you want something cool, try one of the libaries like Ogre. Then you can go back and make your own game using the API and have a better understanding of how an engine/game should work/not work.

Quote:
Original post by Aiursrage2k
Begin by using one of the APIS (DirectX/OpenGL/Java3d...). Then when you want something cool, try one of the libaries like Ogre. Then you can go back and make your own game using the API and have a better understanding of how an engine/game should work/not work.

SDL is also pretty easy to use. Plus when you move to 3D you can use OpenGL with it. It's also crossplatform, meaning that if you're careful you can easily build games for Windows, Mac, Linux - though that may not be something you are concerned about.

I'd definitely say you should try to write your own engine instead of just using an existing one. You learn much more from that. Once you know what you're doing, you might find it easier to use an existing engine though. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!