• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TAlchemist

Point Sprite Problem

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a major weird problem with point sprites. i borrowed the code from the pointsprite sample in D3D 8.1 and got a nicelooking particle emitter going in my world now but when ever i rotate the camera to look down the X axis or cross over the X axis i loose the entire screen to horribly scaled particles and my FPS drops from 150 to 2-7. any idea what could cause this or what can fix it? it is like the sprites are scaling across the entire view. some times the entire display becomes a single sprite or a weird blur of lines going off into X infinity from 0 0 0

Advertisement
it seems that when ever the camera goes into the particle effect it does it too. kind of weird.

even weirder i tried to fix the proplem and another by building the world matrix from the particle effects reference and now the particle emitter is staying in a tight ball with no major movement...looks like a fire or a ball of fire....shimmering and cool looking. i dont know how but i made a cool effect.

figured how i made the fire effect and can duplicate it now...if i set the initial vector of the emitter to a negative y the particles kinda shimmer in place and look like fire.

well i got a nice torch effect or ball of fire to shoot out :) let me try that.

by modifing my terrain ray pick function i can lauch an emitter from the player to the target location. Looks like fireballs are shooting out.

weird side note...the more "fireballs"/emitters on the scene the more they look like regular emitters...if there is enough emitters they all stop being balls and begin sputtering like regular emitters. and as the mobile emitters die off the initial stationary emitter goes back to being a fireball.

anyone care to explain how that works. or why the camera goes nuts when ever i am in the emitter radius or perpendicular to the emitter's axis i get streaks across the screen.

[Edited by - TAlchemist on June 15, 2005 4:24:31 PM]

Post a screenshot if you've got a cool effect going. I always like to see particle effects.

i have saved 3 shots of the weird side effects but dont have anywhere to post them. and need to reduce them to jpg cause bmp is huge.

i might can link them to my home webpage once i get hom late tonight

here is the working fireball effect. it is weird cause the more fireballs on the screen the more like a partile spewer and not a fireball even though fps only dipps 5-10 more than just 1 emitter.

if this works here is the errors i get from any emitter. when you turn so it is to the side of you it extends across the screen as rays and lines. also if you get the camera into the emitters radius it blankets the screen.

ok see if that works.

Thats a pretty cool looking effect. Maybe you can solve your problem by just not allowing movement into the emitter, or if you are in the emitter, just not render it. Those are just hacks, of course, and I'm sure there is an explaination why it does what it does.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to why the long lines apear across the scene when you turn down the X axis when ever a particle sprite is rendered? i mean the emitter is off screen and the lines are all over the screen? how can i fix this cause it loves to blind the camera and kill all frame rate if i get too close to the emitter or if it is pointing just right of the view.

do you have any idea what could be causing the 3 last screenshots...rays across the screen look cool and i would love to reproduce them for laser effects but i dont know how i made them in the first place?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!