• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sipickles

Controlling Mesh Boundaries

This topic is 4876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am investigating using progressive mesh sections to construct a terrain. My first efforts have been reasonable successful. However, as expected, reducing the number of triangles in the progMesh causes gaps to appear in between the terrain sections. In mesh viewer, I noticed that you could load a mesh, then do CONVERT SELECTED TO PM (prog mesh). You can then use error metrics to change which triangles are most affected by the downsampling. By specifying BOUNDARY error metric of 0.0, I can ensure that the mesh is still a square, in plan view, right down to a few triangles (edge triangles are kept). However, the height of these boundary polys still changes, causing gaps to appear. Is there anyway of accessing these boundary polys to ensure they are unaffected by downsizing a prog mesh? ie: I want the downsampling to only affect triangles with 3 adjacent triangles. An utility to do this? or some natty code? Any ideas much appreciated. Simon

Advertisement
Have you found any way to access the actual geometric data for a given LOD? I have to admit I've never used the stock PMESH stuff [oh]

Just wondering as it might be possible for you to manually "correct" the heights.

hth
Jack

Not yet.... seems to be a lot of trouble...

Maybe I could use the GetVertexBuffer() method descibed here

Unfortunately, i've not yest found a method to access the adjacency info, which is maybe a way of ascertaining if a poly is a boundary one (it will have < 3 adjacent polys).

ID3DXBaseMesh::GenerateAdjacency fills an array with pointers to adjacent polys for each poly, but its not as easy as it might be!

Si

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!