Horton's Beginning Visual C++

Started by
11 comments, last by Deadseed 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I recently purchased this book, and I was wondering if the IDE that he uses in the book is available anywhere for download, or do you have to buy it? If it's expensive is it possible to follow the book without the exact program he uses?
Advertisement
As the title of the book suggests, he is using the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 6.0 IDE.

You'd have to buy it, though I don't know of any retail stores that would still carry it, seeing as how VS.NET 2003 has been out for years, and 2005 is just around the corner.

You might be able to find it on eBay or someplace on the 'net. I doubt it's as expensive as it once was, being antiquated.

It should be possible to follow the book, but having the IDE would really help.. I havn't read the book, but it sounds like he talks about some VC specific stuff, so without the IDE, the book might be somewhat useless.
Agh, why did people recommend this book to me then?

In the book he says the IDE that comes with Visual C++ 6. Is that the one you mentioned?
I'd consider it a sign of good luck that you didn't get it [grin], seriously you should stay away from VC++ 6.0 compiler it came out as standardization of C++ was happening (in 1998) so its very non-standard conforming and bits of the standard library basically borked.

Before anyone says "...it shouldn't matter he's only starting out" yes it does matter because he will only learn bad habbits and get wrong impressions, and it will save him alot of hassle in the long run.

So i suggest to you that either:

get VC++ 2k5 express beta 2 its free and is quite stable for doing standard C++ programs.

Or

follow the link in my sig below to get the free version of the VC++ 2k3 compiler but comes with no IDE.

Or

Use a different C++ compiler that comes with an IDE.

EDIT: I just had alook at the contents of that book, for learning standard C++ it looks really lame i would reconsider another book.

[Edited by - snk_kid on June 16, 2005 4:16:50 AM]
Since my girlfriend already paid $60 for the book for me I'm gonna try to use it. Is there anyone that has used the book that knows whether it can be followed without the IDE that he uses?
Hey, you're from Mississauga? I'm still living there, but I'm moving in a month. Hm.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter what IDE you use, or what compiler (as long as there is some compliance to the standards, and even then...). The language is IDE independent.

C++ is C++ is C++ (in most cases). So, whether you go with the abhorrent Bloodshed DevC++, or MinGW, or the MS .NET 2k5 beta, you'll still be okay to follow most of the book's source.

Although I do very much reccommend the .NET IDE and compiler. And once 2K5 has passed the beta stage, I'd reccommend buying the student edition if money is an issue.

Regards,
Julian Spillane
Julian, what makes you think that this book covers standard C++ and not using Visual C++ to create MFC apps?

Quote:Original post by Julian Spillane
Hey, you're from Mississauga? I'm still living there, but I'm moving in a month. Hm.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter what IDE you use, or what compiler (as long as there is some compliance to the standards, and even then...). The language is IDE independent.

C++ is C++ is C++ (in most cases). So, whether you go with the abhorrent Bloodshed DevC++, or MinGW, or the MS .NET 2k5 beta, you'll still be okay to follow most of the book's source.

Although I do very much reccommend the .NET IDE and compiler. And once 2K5 has passed the beta stage, I'd reccommend buying the student edition if money is an issue.

Regards,
Julian Spillane

The book he got is not intended to be just about C++, but MFC, ATL, and Windows programming. The description of the book is:
Quote:Visual C++ 6 is the latest incarnation of Microsoft's premier development product for C++ developers. It contains the latest version of the MFC&T (Microsoft Foundation Classes & Templates) which has virtually become the Industry-wide library used to write Windows programs. Visual C++ 6 also contains the Active Template Library 3.0 ( ATL ) , which is a framework and collection of Wizards for writing ActiveX & COM controls. This book is a tutorial in use of all the major functions of Visual C++ 6.Proven teaching methods guarantee success to novice C++ programmers with a complete tutorial from 'vanilla' C++ , through to OO programming, Windows and using MFC&T. Each concept is supported by graduated code examples and the reader will be coherent in writing a real Windows program and controls by the end of the book.

Unfortunately for Deadseed, I've browsed through quite a few reader reviews, and most of them were negative. [sad] Ivor seems to get into VC6 specific menues and wizards, none of which will be useful in other IDEs, and very likely even .NET 2K3/2K5.
The beginning of it is good, though. That teaches you plain C++ (with templates breezed over, of course).
I would say just download Dev-C++. It is a free IDE and compiler and is easy at compiling and running console programs. Visual c++ 6.0 is starting to get a little outdated, but you could still use it if you wished. You could search ebay or amazon for a cheap copy. Hope your learning goes well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement