• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
frankypoo

animation exporting from 3dsmax

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

the microsoft provided .x exporter for 3ds max doesn't work at all for me, but panda exports everything but animations... but not really.. here's my problem: I export the keyframed mesh using panda and load that .x up with meshviewer. everything, including the animations, works great there. however, loading the .x in my app displays the mesh, materials, and all.. but not the animations. I've set breakpoints to check the status of the animation controller and find out that the animation controller is NOT null, and the HRESULTS from the ID3DXAnimationController.SetTrackEnable() and .AdvanceTime are both S_OK. The advance time variable is correct, and it increments if I tell it to, but the ball just wont bounce! it's like the debug says it's animating, but i can't see it animating. i've tried okino, but same problem. Somewhere I heard dx only registers to 4 or more keyframes, so if there are less than 4 there wont be animation. So I tried 20 keyframes. Nothing. The code is from http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2079.asp, and it animates tiny.x just fine. So there shouldn't be anything wrong with the code, unless i need to add some extra parsing tidbits for 3ds exported .x's. Any solutions, or anybody ever have a similar problem?

Advertisement
> Somewhere I heard dx only registers to 4 or more keyframes,
> so if there are less than 4 there wont be animation.

As an aside, that is not correct. I created by hand what is (almost) the simplest conceivable skinned mesh .X file having 2 bones, 2 triangles, 4 vertices and 3 keyframes, and it works fine.

I exported it from, um, a text editor. [embarrass] It was the Hello World of skinned mesh .X files, but then finding the off-by-one defect in my skinning code was trivial.

do you have to have a skinned mesh in order to export animation? for example, can I simply create a keyframed bouncing sphere without bones or skinning and import that animation via directx?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!