• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MeeZ

Newbie Question

This topic is 4875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

G'day peoples, O.k. I hope no one is going to bite my head off for this, but i was hoping that someone could please point me in the direction of a source of information on how to build ODE (or make my own application that uses ODE) in DevC++. I am just starting out with ODE and am still finding it a bit tricky, and there seem to be a complete lack of information for it on the net. But, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction... I just don't want to ust VC++ if i can help it. Thanks for any help you can offer, and for putting up with what is probably a painful question. Cheers, MeeZ

Advertisement
There are a bunch of demos with source code in the ODE package which shows how to use it. Just ignore the Drawstuff lib as it's only has to do with the graphics (ODE makes a ball bounce while Drawstuff lets you see the ball on screen). Just play around with the demos for a while and you'll get the hang of it.

You must use VC++ in order to play with the demos. And when you feel confi with ODE you should go a head with a small test using DevC++

Surely there has to be a way to build it in DevC++. Someone must have done it. Not everyone uses pirated copies of VC++ for their dev. Is there a custom makefile or something out there that someone has created for making your own projects using DevC++ and ODE??

Well, thanks again for your comments, I appreciate the help.

Cheers.

ofcourse it should work with DevC++ ...just link the .lib file and you're done. The reason to why you should play with the vc++ demos is so you'll learn what to do with the ODE API.

Cool, thanks... i will start going through the demo's, unfortunate i can't compile and run them though... oh well... But yeah, i get what you are saying ... Thanks.

I've done it. I havn't actually used ode though, only got as far as checking it worked. This is just from memory, so I may get stuff wrong, but this is how I built the library:

1. Create a static library project in the source directory.
2. There will be a folder with the opcode library's source in it. Because mingw includes things in a different way to other compilers (I think anyway) I found the easiest thing to do was copy (without deleting) all the code in that folder to the main one. Alternatively you could add that directory to your include directories and add the source files in it to your project.
3. Add every source file to the project except... um. I forget. Theres a couple, it'll probly complain... Just read the top of the file and it should say it's not meant to be compiled with the library.
4. Compile.
5. If it works, dump the resulting library in your lib directory. If you name it libode.a or something you'll be able to link to it easily. Otherwise, come back here and complain and I'll check what I really did.

I should probly warn you I was never very good a compiling libraries. Oh and I use code blocks now anyway.

O.K. I have started a new DevC++ project, and copy and pasted the code from the test buggy program. Now in the project settings i have included those precompiled *.a library files, and set the include directory etc...

When I try to compile I get the following error message (All the time!)

31 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\ode\ode.h:28, from test_buggy.cpp In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/ode/ode.h:28, from test_buggy.cpp

31 C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\MyDevC++Projects\ODE\Test_ODE_Buggy\test_buggy.cpp from test_buggy.cpp

/Dev-Cpp/include/ode/config.h C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\MyDevC++Projects\ODE\Test_ODE_Buggy\C alloca.h: No such file or directory.

1 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\ode\config.h:98 [Warning] "DINFINITY_DECL" redefined

1 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\ode\config.h:95 [Warning] this is the location of the previous definition

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\MyDevC++Projects\ODE\Test_ODE_Buggy\Makefile.win [Build Error] [test_buggy.o] Error 1

Any ideas as to how i can solve this???? I can't wait just to be able to compile and run my own ODE program... But yeah, little hurdles along the way! I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

MeeZ.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!