• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
roos

Good books to read?

This topic is 4808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Forgive me if this question's been asked before... I was wondering, are there any books you guys would consider recommended reading for learning network coding, in particular for games? Right now I'm reading a book called "Developer's Guide to Multiplayer Games", seems pretty good as an intro and it's very nice and easy to follow, but it doesn't really seem to delve too much into any of the advanced aspects of networking... Like, client/server architecture, synchronization and dealing with lag, preventing cheating/hacking, MMORPG programming, etc. Thanks! roos

Advertisement
Interesting. Network Programming for Microsoft Windows, Second Edition by Anthony Jones and Jim Ohmund is a good book on winsock.

As for specific network programming for games, I'd like some discussion too on the best books.

Kuphryn

The later versions of Game Programming Gems have networking sections. You can puzzle together a lot of good practices from reading that, but it's not a comprehensive guide in and of itself.

Quote:

Developer's Guide to Multiplayer Games",

That book SUCKS!!! HARD! It was written by two undergraduate students who were most likely studing MP at the time of writing the book... and it shows in the writing and presentation. An absolute nightmare to read...I'm sorry you didn't ask this question sooner so your exposure to this book would have been minimal. :(

A much better book at that level is

"Multiplayer Game Programming", Todd Barron, Prima Tech, 2001

Much better read and written by someone who actually has some real life experience doing MP. It also covers some basic MMO topics, enough to get you started

HOWEVER, I bet this is what you are REALLY looking for:

"Massively Multiplayer Game Development"; vols 1 and 2; Thor Alexander, editor; Charles River Media; 2003 (vol 1), 2005 (vol 2).

They cover:
Quote:

client/server architecture, synchronization and dealing with lag, preventing cheating/hacking, MMORPG programming, etc.

Both books are a goldmine of info on MMOs and the articles are written by current leaders in the fields, such as Jesse Schell and Marty Poulin :)

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603The later versions of Game Programming Gems have networking sections. You can puzzle together a lot of good practices from reading that, but it's not a comprehensive guide in and of itself.

Cool, thanks.. I have GPG 1,2,3 but haven't gotten around to buying 4 and 5 yet, so I'll look into that.

Quote:
Original post by fastlane69That book SUCKS!!! HARD! It was written by two undergraduate students

Haha, I thought they looked a little young in their photos for author bios... I thought maybe they were just "well-preserved", heh...

Quote:
Original post by fastlane69A much better book at that level is "Multiplayer Game Programming"

Cool, thanks for the recommendation... I was checking out this book before but I was a bit leery because it looks like only about 1/7 of it would be useful- too much noob stuff about how to set up DirectX, bleh. Well since you recommend it I might give it a shot- it's only $4.50 (used) on amazon.com

[quote by "fastlane69"]HOWEVER, I bet this is what you are REALLY looking for: "Massively Multiplayer Game Development"[/quote]

Those sound great! Well, programming MMORPGs isn't really what I want to get into, I just want to have a basic awareness... But from what you say, it looks like they do touch upon a lot of good issues other than strictly MMORPGs so it looks like this is the closest thing to a comprehensive guide for intermediate network programming which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

roos

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!