• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
averisk

Precompiled headers

This topic is 4874 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've got a big enough project now that compile times are starting to take a chunk out of development time. My basic question is: What are some good ideas to speed up the compile? I use forward references whenever possible and only inline functions that are very unlikely to change. Are precompiled headers helpful here? I've never used them before and have been trying to get them work but have so far been unable to. At the moment I'm using VS 2005 Beta.

Advertisement
Yes, pre-compiled headers definitely speed up Windows development. Visual Studio prefers to have a header called stdafx.h (for MFC projects at least) which includes all the core Windows functionality. Simply include this in all of your source files and remove any of the windows headers and this should speed things up.

If you won't benefit from precompiled headers in your smaller utility classes you can select an option in VS. In the pre-compiled headers section of the project properties, select "Automatically generate" - this will not beef about reaching the end of file before finding the precompiled header.

Hope this makes sense :S

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!