• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xegoth

Really good C++ OO book?

This topic is 4877 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of a very good book that covers object oriented concepts in C++ (advanced things like multiple inheritence not what a class is.) I know C++ syntax very well but when OO gets too deep into multiple inheritence and that polymorphism I start to get lost and could really use a solid book on the subject. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
I'm not sure if it is 'really good', but perhaps you can take a look at: The Waite Group's Object Oriented Programming in C++. Now I have he 3rd edition and not the 4th, which is what that link is for, but it's a pretty big book that looks like it covers a lot.

Now I have a feeling that is not what you are looking for, so you might want to take a look at some books such as Large-Scale C++ Software Design which goes over more advanced stuff. Finally you could always get The C++ Programming Language which should have everything in it since it's the reference book from the author of C++.

In addition, don't forget to check the web for some advanced C++ abstracts, articles, and tutorials on this. Check out some GameDev users journals, such as Washu's because there's a lot of stuff there that you never know when you might need [wink]. Good luck!

Thinking In C++ vol 1 and 2. They are also available as free html-books. These books are good, because the author keeps asking same "dumb" questions like me: "but why..." and then answers them. I like that way of explaining things. The usual and bad way is just tell how to do something and not answer the "why" part.

Bruce Eckel's books

It's too bad you have that C++ requirements. The best book on OO might not have much to do with C++. For example, the best book I have found on pure concept was Agile Software Developement by Robert Martin(he does use code and I think it's a mix of C++ and java...but the language is irrelevant). There's also Design Patterns Explained which I found was a good approach of teaching OO through patterns.

The only pure c++ book I would recommand beside the free Thinking in C++, would be Effective C++ my Scott Meyers. There's a nice section on OO design that covers the restriction of C++ (regarding multiple inheritence for example) This book covers advance topics that programmers SHOULD know.

Good luck with your search :)

Shadx

Thinking in C++ is pretty good. It's also available online for free.

Also the online C++ FAQ lite is useful.

The next two aren't beginner books, but they are good

Effective C++ by Scott Meyers is a worthy read once you've been working with the language for a bit. A new Third Edition recently came out, but I haven't looked at it yet.

I picked up Exceptional C++ by Herb Sutter recently and it looks good.

I'll put in a second word for Design patterns : elements of reusable object-oriented software. It's a fantastic book for showing just how powerful OO design can be. It's mostly in JAVA I believe, but is entirely applicable to C++.

Many would say, especially hardcore JAVA programers obviously, that elegant solutions don't need multiple inheritance. This book agrees with them, and presents design patterns (important topic in modern SE) that use OOP with only single inheritance and interfaces. It's an exceptional read overall.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!