[java] Resizing arrays

Started by
6 comments, last by Zahlman 18 years, 10 months ago
Another thing I have to do is remove rows/columns from a matrix. The removing it part isn't that big of a deal. I have a private array that points to the matrix that was opened up. I can resize it and say assign '0' to all the elements fine. But if I have another array with the new data and try to assign it to the private array I get some kind of null exception error when I try to save the array to a text file.
Advertisement
Code please.
Integer temp[][] = new Integer[3][5];			int x, y;									private_matrix = new Integer[3][5];			for (x=0; x<3; x++) {								for (y=0; y<5; y++) {					temp[x][y] = private_matrix[x][y];				}			}						for (x=0; x<3; x++) {				for (y=0; y<5; y++) {					private_matrix[x][y] = temp[0][0];				}							}

I realize it doesn't actually do anything. But in the second loop when private_matrix is assigned the values of temp is where the problem seems to be. If I just assign say '0' I don't get an error.

private_matrix was initilized elsewhere as a 4x5 array loaded in with values from a file
When you do "private_matrix = new Integer[3][5]", you're nulling all indicies in private_matrix.

The reason for this is because you're using the Integer object (java.lang.Integer) rather than the Integer primitive (int).

Your null errors are probably because of this.
There is a mistake that assignment should read "private_matrix[x][y] = temp[x][y];".

If the array has been resized and all the elements should have values in them why would I be getting null?

I'm using the Integer class because I need to use .toString() when I'm saving it.
Integer temp[][] = new Integer[3][5];  //Every temp index is null now.int x, y;private_matrix = new Integer[3][5];  // Every private_matrix index is null now.for (x=0; x<3; x++){   for (y=0; y<5; y++){      temp[x][y] = private_matrix[x][y];  // null to null   }}			for (x=0; x<3; x++){   for (y=0; y<5; y++){      private_matrix[x][y] = temp[0][0];  // null back to null   }}

Everything in Java is stored in reference. When you resize an object array, all references in that array are set to null. Similarly, when you resize a primitive array, all references get set to that primitive's default value.

Right now you're swapping null references.

If I understand what you want to do correctly, you need to copy the data from "private_matrix" into "temp" prior to resizing it. Then you can resize "private_matrix" and dump the data in "temp" back into it.
Your right, I was being stupid and resizing the array before copying it to the temp array. If I wait to resize it until after I've copied what I need to the temp array I don't get the errors.

Thanks for the help.
Quote:I'm using the Integer class because I need to use .toString() when I'm saving it.

As a general rule, use primitives in Java in preference to their object counterparts, when you can get away with it; use the objects when you have to (e.g. as keys for a HashMap).

To convert a primitive integer to a String, you can either invoke the static Integer method (like Integer.toString(myIntValue)), or the static String method for the task (like String.valueOf(myIntValue)), or do it implicitly via a string concatenation (like "" + myIntValue, or myStringBuffer.append(myIntValue)).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement