• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
adam17

Linear Interpolation

This topic is 4727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im trying to build a way to change colors and/or materials in my particle system based on their life. i have the age of the particle, the max lifetime for a particle, starting color and ending color. i feel sooo close to getting the right formula. this is what i have for one color channel:
r = (colorDeath.r-colorBirth.r)/(pArray[x].age/lifetime);
obviously it doesnt work. what do i need to change?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
r = colorBirth.r + (colorDeath.r-colorBirth.r)*(pArray[x].age/lifetime);

The clearest statement of linear interpolation:

f(x0, x1, t) = x0*(1-t) + x1*t

Calculate that out with t=0 and with t=1, and see what the values are.

A crank of the algebra machine turns that into

f(x0, x1, t) = (x1 - x0) * t + x0

which is the same function, but expressed as a vector scaling. It's a bit more performant in a lot of cases. The first formulation is easier to understand, though, especially if you're not that into linear algebra.

i implemented and tried Anonymous Poster's formula. all i end up with is a flash of the final color. colorBirth and colorDeath are float, but age and lifetime are int. that shouldnt cause a problem with ints should it?

im assuming if i set the birth color to white and the death color to black i should end up with a steady gradient from white to black with a gray middle right?

Integer division is integer division. Remainder is truncated. Thus, (1 / 2) = 0, and (1.0 / 2.0) = 0.5. Cast to double BEFORE you divide.

Adam17,

"pArray[x].age / lifetime" sets up a float function ranging from 0.0 to 1.0. If they are both ints, then the division will be truncated to 0 until age is equal to lifetime, only then will it be equal to 1. In theory this would cause your color to remain the same as the starting color for the duration of its life and then flash to the final color for a quick moment at the end.

You should set a break point on the line, step over it a couple of times, and make sure the math is doing what you expect it to do.

Learning to debug code efficiently and effectively is the best skill you can develop as a computer programmer.

Cheers mate, and good luck!

HELLZ YEAH!!!! it was like 4 in the morning when i was working on that. it was an easy fix, just change the types from int to float.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!