• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] What is the best .NET 2003 version ???

This topic is 4722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm going to buy .NET 2003. What is the best version of .NET 2003 (enterprise architect, enterprise developer, professional...) [Edited by - cpp_boy on June 16, 2005 3:27:19 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Seroja
Don't you think it would be better to wait for .Net 2005? And use the beta for now?

i agree. if you're willing to spend that much you should wait and use the beta until the release.

Quote:
Original post by Seroja
Don't you think it would be better to wait for .Net 2005? And use the beta for now?

Is it realy going to be so much better than .net 2003 ?
If yes, in what ways ?

There are still A LOT of programers working with vc++6 :) (i'm not joking)

Because VC++6 is not a .Net language. It doesn't require .Net framework to be installed. But why would you want to buy something old, when something new is coming out soon?

Quote:
Original post by Seroja
Because VC++6 is not a .Net language. It doesn't require .Net framework to be installed. But why would you want to buy something old, when something new is coming out soon?

What are the advantages of .NET 2005 (over .NET 2003) ???

I use VB, so some stuff might not be

1) .Net 2003 looks ugly :P
2) Added edit & continue.
3) Much more stable IDE. - My most important point
4) It has some additional tools. (Like code analyzer)
5) Longhorn is supposed to come with 2.0 framework.

I think if you google you can find more detailed info.

But anyway, I'd say you better buy a newer version, after all support for it will more likely continue longer.

Also I've read 2005 has significant advances in the debugger, like easier viewing of the contents of STL containers and stuff.

Irregardless of whichever version you decide on, the specific semantics of the various packages (Enterprise Architect/Developer, Pro, Academic) are very specific in their purpose, even cross-compared. Unless you have a very large team of developers, you have no use for the Enterprise editions. If you are a student, you should find out if your university is a member of the MSDN Academic Alliance and get VS for free/cheap (should be no more than $15). If you aren't a student, Professional is what you are intended to use.

(package role descriptions and cross comparison of the upcoming 2005 release)

Quote:
Original post by cpp_boy
Quote:
Original post by Seroja

What are the advantages of .NET 2005 (over .NET 2003) ???

Read "Visual C++ 2005 IDE Enhancements" series - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!