Is it just me, or is 3D/2D Slow in DX8?

Started by
14 comments, last by LostLogic 23 years, 4 months ago
Furby100:

Oh, I see what you are talking about. Thanks for the tip, I will try it out and see what kind of FPS improvement I can get.

BTW, have you ever tried benchmarking 2D/3D versus straight 2D?

Thanks again,
LostLogic

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Advertisement
Hi,

I am slo getting slower 2d/d3d performance with DX8 than DX7. I made a simple VB, IB with 900 primitives. Rendered them with NO transformation or textures. Just black polys. I got get about 30-40 FPS on my 633mhz/Geforce1.

I would also like to see someone make a sample with 75.000 polys at 40hz. I''ve been working with 2d/d3d for one year now. Using DirectX so I know all the optimizations. But there is not much you can optimize when you have all primitives in a VB and not calling ANY renderstates in the main loop.
I had the same problem in DX8, I only got around 48FPS on a GeForce256! Compared to the DX7 version of D3DXSprite in which I got about 300FPS. Somethings not right. Ive resorted back to DX7 for now...

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Hmm, maybe you people have the debug version of DX8 installed?
I have the retail version running here. I cant speak for the others though.

If anyone reading this post can demonstrate a high FPS program that does what we are asking please let us know where to find it.

Thanks,

LostLogic

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

There are a couple of differences I noticed between the SpriteD3DX 7 & 8 versions...

1) The DX8 version uses LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE8 and the DX7 version uses LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7.

2) D3DXLoadTexture stretches the bitmap into the texture if the source BMP is not to the power of 2, therefore causing the src rect parameter in the D3DXSprite->draw function to work incorrectly (src image is different).

I think because a texture is used in DX8 instead of a surface, performance is lower for some reason. Maybe there is a way to use IDirectDrawSurface7 for D3DX functions...but I doubt it. Looks like we all are going to have to revert back to D3DX7 for now, until MS fixes the problem. DX 8.0a anyone?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement