Language For Windows Application

Started by
9 comments, last by JY 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm building a windows application to allow me to manipulate data for my game (it's just a small GUI that will manipulate a file). I was wondering what language you guys would recommend doing it in. I would like to make it in something that will give me experience in what companies (including non game developping ones) are now using, even if it's a bit harder or takes me longer to make it. I've already taken a course in VB, have used Java Swing classes and dabbled in Visual C++. Thank you!
An arrow through the eye is still an arrow through the eye.
Advertisement
To me, the best choice would be VB (as long as you want to run the project on Windows only).
If you have VB experience, then that may be fastest. Otherwise, I'd recomend C#. Avoid managed C++.

Alternitivly, you could go all-out and learn something new and use wxPython (or just use C++ with wxWidgets).

Also, it depends on what your tool is for, and what language your game is in. If your tool is an editor of some kind for the game, you may find it eaisest to use the same language as your game to take advantage of code reuse.
If it's for a learning experience I would say choose the language you want to learn ;) I personally stick to C++ or C#, VB could be quicker to get a basic interface up and running.

In terms of what companies use - I would say C++ is always a good bet.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
Quote:Original post by JY
In terms of what companies use - I would say C++ is always a good bet.

You'd be surprised, I'd say a good 50% of corporate development is done in VB because of ease of use and speed of development. Tho' this might be migrating over to C# now because it's almost as easy to use and more powerful.
Thanks everyone!

I'm going to do it in VB because it's faster and a lot easier to use. I will definitely look into C#, to be honest, I hadn't considered it.

BTW, what is managed C++ code (I'm not sure how to do a proper quote, sorry).
An arrow through the eye is still an arrow through the eye.
Quote:Original post by ChocoArcher
BTW, what is managed C++ code

I think that's the dreaded Win32 with a side order of awful, known as MFC. If that's what Andrew Russell is referring to, I couldn't agree more. Definitely avoid it.

C# has prettier syntax that VB, and it is just as easy.
Use Eclipse and Java. It might be the most painless way how to do that application. You used Swing classes, and that is all you need to do.
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper
Quote:Original post by ChocoArcher
BTW, what is managed C++ code

I think that's the dreaded Win32 with a side order of awful, known as MFC. If that's what Andrew Russell is referring to, I couldn't agree more. Definitely avoid it.

No, Managed C++ is sort of a cludging of C++ and .Net together that overall is kind of a hackjob. C++/CLI will hopefully adress these problems, because right now I only wander over to Managed C++ if I need it to interface with something.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement