Hack my online high score (updated)

Started by
23 comments, last by Erik S. Andersson 18 years, 9 months ago
Save all the input and send it to server in the end of the game. Run simulation in the server, get the score. They could still alter the input to make a "perfect" game but that would take a lot of time.
Advertisement
Interesting. I was kinda afraid that might happen. Theres probably not much I could do to prevent that. I could possibly verify the exe each run, but that may be just a waste of time as that could be got round. Any other ideas?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Save all the input and send it to server in the end of the game. Run simulation in the server, get the score. They could still alter the input to make a "perfect" game but that would take a lot of time.

I thought about that but I think it would be quite difficult to pull off as slight changes in game speed, collision detection, and some random values in the game would complicate it.
Torus said:
Quote:"Fiary" is spelled "Fiery."

I think he meant 'fairy' on account of 'fiery walls' making very little sense.

John
I think it actually is worth it to have an efficient method for recording/replaying in all games where it makes sense. As you note you essentially have to design with it in mind, you have to handle issues like randomness, floating point and input events in a consistent way. Changing an already existing design to allow recording can be pretty hard, so it's hard to say if it is worth it in your case. When it comes to preventing cheating it's one of the best ideas in a game like this and as an added bonus you could also replay the high score run to see how they did it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement