• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Larz Smith

Animating from .X

This topic is 4809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to play around with the "Tweener" Animation functionality thats in DirectX now but I seem to be in a bit of a rut. Im trying to blend some models loaded in from .X. However all the documentation Ive seen says that to do a Tweener you need to load in seperate vertex buffer streams, and I cant seem to get the data loaded from the .X files into VertexBuffers. Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this? Or a different approach I can take?

Advertisement
Hey Larz,

First you may want to clone the mesh using ID3DXMesh::CloneFVF so it will put the mesh into the format you are going to use. From there use the ID3DXMesh::GetVertexBuffer and GetIndexBuffer.

That will give you the vertices/indices you need.

Quote:
Original post by ph33r
Hey Larz,

First you may want to clone the mesh using ID3DXMesh::CloneFVF so it will put the mesh into the format you are going to use. From there use the ID3DXMesh::GetVertexBuffer and GetIndexBuffer.

That will give you the vertices/indices you need.

Heh, actually after digging thru the DolphinVS example for another couple of hours thats the conclusion Ive come up with too.

Seems rather lame though that you cant get the correct buffers setup straight from a FromFile call. Even more so when the docs say that mesh.drawSubset() uses DrawIndexedPrimitive. Oh well.

Thanks man!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!