• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DirectXFreak

How is the skybox rendered in EVE online?

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, I am looking to implement a simple space shooter. I found EVE Online the other day, so I played it for a couple hours using the 14 day trial, and I must say, the skybox is pretty cool. So my question is, how could I go about rendering something like that? It appeared that the stars were tiled accross sky, and that the space dust was two or more transparent skyboxes blended together over time to give it movement. Is that how it's done? Do you know if EVE even uses a skybox? Or is it more like a sky sphere or something. Here are a few screenshots of what I'm talking about: Thank you for you help.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by DirectXFreak
Do you know if EVE even uses a skybox? Or is it more like a sky sphere or something.

A standard cube map. You can find 'stuff explorer' on some Eve-related sites... it's able to open Eve's .res file archives. you'll find textures for the skies along with all others stored as regular .dds files in there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!