• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ktuluorion

Why does it have a "bland" look

This topic is 4807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you go to my website (www.piebert.com) and look at the pictures, I can't figure out why they look so bland when rendered. When I render them in truespace, they come out more detailed looking. Is there maybe something that I need to activate to make it look nicer?

Advertisement
It probably has a lot to do with the lighting and texturing. Truespace might be using some sort of fancy non-realtime lighting which would be different from any sort of real-time technique. It also might help to get some different looking textures.

I'd suggest attempting to get two renders, one from your game and one from your other source in as similar a prospective as you can. Then it might be easier to compare and contrast in order to tell what you are missing.

Quote:
Original post by Moe
It probably has a lot to do with the lighting and texturing. Truespace might be using some sort of fancy non-realtime lighting which would be different from any sort of real-time technique. It also might help to get some different looking textures.

I'd go with this suggestion [smile]

"Offline" renderers tend to have substantially better lighting algorithms (even if it is just a per-pixel one) than the basic D3D lighting algorithm. Good lighting adds a lot to any image.

As for colour, if thats an issue, I've seen some good offline rendering's that don't necessarily use HDRI but might use 10bit/channel to gain a lot richer colours. This isn't easy to mimmick in D3D unfortunately.

hth
Jack

There are two noticable things that are missing from those images:

(1) Lighting - even if the scene is outdoors, there are still light sources present (the sun for example)

(2) Shadowing - shadows can make all the difference in a scene. Without them, it can be very hard to tell how far away objects are (and consequently how big they are). Adding shadows will instantly increase depth perception and will make your application look a whole lot better. Of course, this goes hand-in-hand with lighting (no lights = no shadows).

Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
There are two noticable things that are missing from those images:

(1) Lighting - even if the scene is outdoors, there are still light sources present (the sun for example)

(2) Shadowing - shadows can make all the difference in a scene. Without them, it can be very hard to tell how far away objects are (and consequently how big they are). Adding shadows will instantly increase depth perception and will make your application look a whole lot better. Of course, this goes hand-in-hand with lighting (no lights = no shadows).

Well, I have one light.. are you suggesting adding more than one?

I cant help but notice how your lighting looks quite triangulated.

How are you setting the light colors? Using colors with values over 1.0f for each color would make your lighting seem very simple -- either dark or lit, without many places that are partly lit. Try setting your light color to lower values to make your lighting seem softer.

Quote:
Original post by ktuluorion
How do I activate shadows?

Unfortunatly, shadows can't just be activated - you have to implement them. There are many, many methods out there for shadows, some of which are pretty simple.

The DXSDK has a Shadow Mapping sample that is easy to follow. Also, try checking out the Resources section here on GameDev - there are a lot of them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!