• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Densun

video card standards

This topic is 6511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the standards most video cards follow from a programming stand point, ie. setting the video mode? Where can I find out more info on how to use these standards? I know DirectX will work with Windows programming, but I'm also interested in knowing this. Choose a path: path one or path two Edited by - Densun on 11/24/00 7:21:18 PM

Advertisement
They''re aren''t any, or at least what ''standards'' existed in the DOS days, changed constantly and varied from card manufactor to manufactor (because they all felt they had the dominating product and felt they should get to decide the standards)

mode 0x13 (19d) is good ole'' VGA mode, 320x200x256, Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus probably covers all this stuff.

Eventually something called VESA came out (and it has at least 2 revisions) that provided some standards, but not every card complied to all the VESA requirements.

Sooo you more or less needed to write a blitter for each type of video card.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!