What route to learn OpenGL

Started by
7 comments, last by ostamo1 18 years, 10 months ago
I was wondering what would I have to learn to be able to program games with OpenGL? I know C/C++ already, and have never done any Windows programming or Graphics Programming. Also are there any books that talk about just theory of building games, like analyzing games, without showing any code?
Advertisement
I started learning OpenGL from NeHe Tutorials

It's quite easy to learn, the hardest part of making a game isn't related to OpenGL or DX ;)
To learn OpenGL, try NeHe. You need look no further for the time being. But it does have some Windows programming thrown in, walking you through it at the same time.

As for books, I don't know any that fit what you're after.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.

check out: nehe.gamedev.net

These books can be found here online in the article section.

The OpenGL Bluebook
The OpenGL Redbook

I suggest reading them all.
NeHe Tutorials
Now the link is right! :)
Dont you have to know windows programming to understand the openGL books?
As others have said, the nehe tutorials are a great place to start.

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins is good. It'll also get you started with Windows programming - though I got the examples in the book to work with linux as well.

You should also read OpenGL Programming Guide by Mason Woo, et al. at some point. Many people call this the red book - when you see the cover you'll know why (there's also the blue book which is a reference for opengl)

You also might want to take a look at SDL for platform independent OpenGL window creation and event handling.
Quote:Original post by Gink
Dont you have to know windows programming to understand the openGL books?
No.

Nehe and Beginning OpenGL game programming will hodl your hand through the basic windows stuff to get you started, and then you never have to worry about it again, and you can continue learning OpenGL. OpenGL only handles graphics. So when you want to move on to input and handling your window you will need to learn a little bit of win32 (or direct input).

if you have some money 3dbuzz.com is selling some opengl vtm's (Video training Modules) hopefully buzz will put up the introductory vtm on his site soon....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement