• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zero_hour

What Book should I use To learn C++

This topic is 4875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok, so I just regestered, and I am excited to learn all these cool programming languages. I looked through the forums, and the only language that seemed to come up alot was C++. So I decided that that mioght be a good place to start. Now, can anyone tell me what book, or tutorials I should use to get started? Thanks.

Advertisement
This place will be good for you : http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Also be sure to check out the books area of the site to read reviews of potential books that interested you.

Actually, its not a good idea to pick a language right out of a hat. You should check out the languages features and difficulty before persuing to study it. C++ is very difficult for beginners; its like driving a car without attending 'Drivers Ed' (had to use the analogy, getting my license in a couple of months ;)

I recommend checking out Python; probably one of the easiest languages to learn. BASIC is also very easy and has been around for a lot longer. Both of these languages are excellent beginners languages, and you wont have a problem with finding any books on them.

I recommend "Sam's Teach Yourself BASIC in 24 Hours". I used it as a beginning book, and it worked great for me.

If you want to ambitiosly learn C++, I suggest checking out some of the Microsoft Press series, which are excellent books, and explain every aspect in detail.

Also check out the 'Beginners Section' of this site. It has a lot of information on other languages.

Hope that helped

If you have no programming experience C++ isn't a great first language, you'll need about 2-3 years to really learn it and from more than one book, i suggest you start with something else first, after that then i would recommend starting with:

The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition) by Bjarne Stroustrup (inventor of the language)

Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example

Because these books teach you C++ the wright the way from the beginning.

Thanks Guys, Ill take the advise and start from basic, and work my way up. Again Thank you for the help

Edit: On the sams 24 hour books, There seem to be alot of them, which one is the one you suggested, "visual basic? microsoft visual basic? ext.

Well, go with 'Visual Basic' if you have the compliler. Otherwise, go for just plain basic, as you can find a free compiler somewhere on the web.

Make sure that it is the '21 day' version though, the others ('24 hours', '10 minutes') are just reference books

So this One???
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672320665/qid=1118963699/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-2437883-5850307?v=glance&s=books

Guest Anonymous Poster
There are many programming languages that offer many advantages. If you go with C++, like the others said, it is more difficult to start with. Visual Basic will teach you the programming concepts that are needed. I started with C++ and I didn't have much trouble understanding it, but maybe that's just me. I think what matters is who or what you learn it from that determines whether it is easy or hard. A good book is Learn to Program with C++ by John Smiley. It was the first book I read and what makes it easy to pick up on is the classroom setting he uses. As for any programming language, it takes time to learn so don't rush it or you will miss some things.

Go with C++. I learned from Deitel & Deitel, great book. I wouldn't bother with other languages if you're only interested in making games. However, don't even think about trying to make a game while learning C++, stick to the boring console stuff. Once you're comfortable, hit an API or engine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!