OpenGL Compositing 50 images

Started by
1 comment, last by Koshmaar 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I have 50 opengl textures I need composited into one image fast, dynamic. Basically their images of lines, and I need to show different combinations of them, rendering 50 with alpha over one another is a little slow, I need it to run faster so I figure if I can somehow composite them to 1 image, it would speed up my render time. Any ideas how to do this with opengl? Thanks Jeff.
Advertisement
let me get this straight...

you have 50 images of a line in different positions right? if its a single line on the image, just use one line image and use the glMultiTexCoord function to display multiple lines at different coordinates. make sense? seeing as there is usually only 8 texture units, the next best thing to do is render to texture, thats if you can redraw them in ogl.

Quote:
50 with alpha over one another is a little slow, I need it to run faster so I figure if I can somehow composite them to 1 image, it would speed up my render time. Any ideas how to do this with opengl?

Hey man, it's OpenGL, not any stinking 2D sprite library, with function for line rendering written in C/C++/pascal/hand_optimized_assembly. AFAIK you can render 5000 or 50 antialiased, alpha blended lines and see almost no difference in FPS.

So, remember: first make it work than make it fast.

And, as adam17 said, if you still think that would be issue, and you are certain about it (or you have tested it already), try rendering to texture.
Or use display list, but I'm not sure whether those lines are moving with respect to each other... be more specific next time :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement