• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

high speed internet

This topic is 4722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using dial-up right now and have been for awhile. However, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the masochism of it. The only problem with getting high-speed is that I'm renting by the week, so the property owners probably will not consent to any kind of in-depth installation (i.e. drilling holes and running all kinds of wires everywhere). I have no idea what installing high-speed Internet typically entails. Can someone recommend a viable option for someone who rents by the week? I plan on being at this place a few more months, but I don't really want to go through the rigmarole of getting a more permanent place. It's surprisingly affordable and decent here except for the dial-up torture I regularly subject myself to. Mike C. http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/

Advertisement
In the case of cable internet (I have no experience with DSL or others, you probably won't be seeking much higher) there was no installation needed. The data is transferred through the existing cable connections. All you should have to do is buy (or rent if you prefer) a cable modem and you're set.

Call your local high-speed internet providers for more information. Usually they can give you more detailed explanations if you need them.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Original post by BDePesa
In the case of cable internet (I have no experience with DSL or others, you probably won't be seeking much higher) there was no installation needed. The data is transferred through the existing cable connections.

Damn you Americans and your existing cable lines. We have to have a line installed down here in Australia (although that isn't particularly intrusive installation, I doubt anyone would ever have a problem with it). DSL runs through your phone-line. All you need is the DSL modem, and filters (~AU$10each) on each phone thats connected to the line.

Generally, there are two options; cable modem or DSL.

Cable modem is provided generally by whatever company you get your cable TV from. A coaxial cable comes from the wall to a little box [about the size of a paperback book these days] and then an ethernet cable comes from the little box to an ethernet card in your computer.

No big installation, just a little box and a few more cables. If you don't have an ethernet card already [the port will look like a big phone connector] they're pretty cheap [$10 as of a few years ago] for the most basic. Cable though [last I heard] was a shared service. That is you use the same cable as everyone else in the neighborhood. The more people, the less available bandwidth. Last I heard [which was quite a while ago] there are also some security concerns with such shared service, as it's likely possible for others to see, or modify your traffic en route to the cable company. That though is perhaps an unlikely scenario.

DSL is provided by your phone company, or by a variety of third party providers. It uses the same wires as your phone, but different frequencies over the wire. The phone line comes out of the wall and is put into a little 2 line splitter [$.10 at radio shack]. Then 1 line goes to your phone, and another goes to a DSL modem. DSL modems are about the same shape and size as a cable modem, and it too will need to run an ethernet cable to your computer.

On paper, DSL is a little slower, but is not shared with the neighborhood. DSL's main downside is that DSL signal strength degrades over distance. Thus it is limited by distance from the phone company's offices [generally to about 15000 ft]. In cities, or clumped suburbs it's not much of a problem. Elsewhere, it can be unattainable.

Last I checked, prices between the two were similar enough [or rather, varied enough depending on who you go with] in price that there is no one real winner.

And either way, there should need to be no major modification to your rental place. You at most will likely need to secure permission to have a DSL or cable tech enter your local phone closet to do a little non-permanent wiring.

[edit: ah yes, the only problem you might run into as a short time rental is equipment. There's generally a one time fee to buy the DSL or cable modem. Usually it's around $250-$300. The DSL modems at least tend to be different from place to place, and techs won't support "wierd" modems. Your ISP might buy them back when you move, or you could eBay them to recoup the investment. Something to look into.]

If memory serves me right, to get cable internet most providers reequire you to sign at least a 6 month contract, with penalties for dropping out early (at least around here). Which might not be good for you.

Check to see if wireless internet is available - I live in an area where they are experimenting with some form of wireless - you just put an antenna on top of your house (not sure what tech they're using - don't use it myself but they claim it's low latency).

Satellite internet is another option, but I think it's fairly expensive and has high latency.

Definitely check into the contract aspects of the providers in your area.

Also, something else to check out is wireless aircards. You can get them through most cell phone providers and they operate off cell phone towers. There is one option that is around $150 and another that is around $40 but, requires a cell phone.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!