• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rydair

Great ideas

This topic is 4875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Today I was reading through some of the articles in the beginner section and read the one titled "How do i make a game?". Well most of you probably know that it touches upon the common wishes of verry veryy beginner game devs like myself to some day make games such as everquest or starcraft and how this is very unrealistic. I was just wondering, and others are probably wondering the same thing, that if you have some GREAT ideas for large scale uperclass games what are some things you can do to see those ideas be put into action? Do game companies often get ideas from outsiders or do you have to be "in the industry" in order to have someone listen to you?

Advertisement
Rydair,

There's only two ways to get a game made. Either you make it yourself, or someone else makes it for you.

In the first case, you're going to need to start small, develop your skills, and expect to spend 5-10 years making your own games before you'll be able to put something like Starcraft together. In addition to the 5-10 years mastering your skills, you're going to need to find assets such as art and sound. These can often be expensive, unless you've got a friend who'd be happy to make them for you.

The second case, getting someone else to make it for you, is nearly impossible. As a general rule, game companies dont take "ideas" from people not currently employed. This is done for a couple of reasons. First, there's tons of lawsuits about intellectual property happening on a daily basis. Its easier for companies to adopt a policy of "just dont send it." Secondly, game companies have an entire staff of designers who are often just as talented and creative as you. For this reason, they're likely to opt to go with one of their own designs rather than take someone elses.

With that being said, you might be able to get a job in the industry at some point, and within 5-10 years you'll have reached a level of authority where you can float an idea across the table and have people take it seriously.

The moral of the story is, to make a game like starcraft you can expect to spend about 5-10 years in development, by yourself or with a few others, and it can often be difficult to get all the necessary components of the game together.

Dont plan on making starcraft, see if you can make Pong, Breakout, Pac-man, and go from there. If you've not already made 10-15 small games, you're going to find starcraft a bit difficult to accomplish.

Cheers, and good luck!

It's my understanding that even in the Industry, nobody listens to you unless you've successfully worked on multiple releases, or designed a successful game of lesser magnitude [hobbyist, expansion, 'budget']. They've got their own great ideas they'd rather work on.

Then make a modification which in a lot of cases is deemed illegal; but possible. You really can't expect what your looking for any other way though; that is just how the business is. You can't expect to be taken seriously unless you have a foundation.

You could always make your own game development company, then your in total control of everything. Thats rather wishful thinking though; generally your going to have a hard time. Considering all the other companies you'll be competing with.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
It's my understanding that even in the Industry, nobody listens to you unless you've successfully worked on multiple releases, or designed a successful game of lesser magnitude [hobbyist, expansion, 'budget']. They've got their own great ideas they'd rather work on.

Then get the job of the person who makes the game design, then you have the control in the first place.

Quote:
Original post by The Najdorf
a great idea is not a project for an increbily sophisticated MMORPG+FPS all in one, it's a 3000 lines program that sells.

And how is Ragdoll Masters selling? Or did you decide against that?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!