Blender hype

Started by
13 comments, last by yapluc 18 years, 10 months ago
I'd like to know why blender is counter productive. the keyboard privides the shortcuts and the mouse just selects and moves objects and positions a 3d cursor. I'd like to hear of the interface with their favorite program and why they seem to bond with it. Also, why couldn't they bond with blender3d. Sure i'm what you may call a blenderhead. My previous application was merlin3d 1.0 (dating back to the 1990s and lacked modeling power). I found the interface just as simple and yet more powerful. When I hear of the "super steep learning curve" hype, I just draw a question mark. No, I don't grind my teeth and stomp up and down and swear at all other 3d app users.(They usualy are proficient with what they use. so godsped with them) I am a baffled, perplexed, and basically a lost person with no clue as to why blender3d gets the "most user unfriendly" award. fill me in here... ps: caution not to turn words into the keroshine and matches of a flame war. flamewars plain ol' stink. remember what smokey the bear said.... "Only you can prevent forum fires..."
Advertisement
I haven't used it much, but I think it's primarily because a lot of the commands are through keyboard short-cuts. There aren't any nice, big, shiny buttons that make it obvious as to what they do. To get into it, you need to know all the keyboard commands - it's hard to just jump in and start playing around.
And, the camera, instead of rotating around the selected object, rotates around the center of the screen.
I never had a problem with it, but then I never used anything else (except Milkshape for perhaps five minutes, several years before) so I had no preconceptions. I jumped in and started playing around, and had my first animated model in a couple hours. Although I understand some people might dislike the hotkey-centric approach, I'm with the OP in being baffled as to why it is so commonly reviled.
Quote:Original post by VertexNormal
I never had a problem with it, but then I never used anything else (except Milkshape for perhaps five minutes, several years before) so I had no preconceptions. I jumped in and started playing around, and had my first animated model in a couple hours. Although I understand some people might dislike the hotkey-centric approach, I'm with the OP in being baffled as to why it is so commonly reviled.
I've been using 3d software since I was 12ish, and I can't stand blender. You can get used to anything if you waste enough time doing it. I don't care what features they add to it, I'm never looking at it again until they replace the god awful interface.

Hell, back when I started making doom levels, the editors couldn't even show you what you were working on! You had to work off of an image in your imagination, and use that to align textures and the like, and I still can't stand blender. You can get used to any setup if you give it enough time, but that doesn't mean it's a good setup. Especially when you are using a ton of tools that all have a similar setup, and then you have to get back into 'blender mode' when you start up that editor.

I can open up most programs and get right to work, because they have a easy to use standard gui and things are all put in the proper places. With Blender I have to hunt around for 15 minutes to try and find the button that does what I want it to do, then when I can't find it I have to search the net and try to find an article or something that mentions it, or a forum thread where somebody need help with that and asked. FORGET IT! No one wants to spend 4 hours fooling around with something to get 25 minutes of work done.

However I'm not bashing blender. It's an amazing program wrapped up behind the interface from hell(imo). If you like it, good for you. I hope you make something cool with it. Just posting my own reasons for disliking it. :)
I love keyboard shortcuts. The first thing I do when I start a new software is look for the hotkey commands. I was very shocked to find that the software I use for my civil engineering CAD job didn't contain useful keyboard shortcuts. I'm still looking for a way... Keyboard shortcuts helps me work faster and smarter, so though Blender's interface was very scary at first, I got used to it.

It just takes time. The buttons are so small, too.
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
I hope you make something cool with it. Just posting my own reasons for disliking it. :)

Heh. Well, I did make all the character and UI graphics for Golem with it... [grin]
Example

WiseElben: The button windows can be zoomed just like the 3D view can, to make the buttons larger. Just use the scroll wheel. Button layouts can be panned around as well if needed.
I can open up most programs and get right to work, because they have a easy to use standard gui and things are all put in the proper places. With Blender I have to hunt around for 15 minutes to try and find the button that does what I want it to do, then when I can't find it I have to search the net and try to find an article or something that mentions it, or a forum thread where somebody need help with that and asked. FORGET IT! No one wants to spend 4 hours fooling around with something to get 25 minutes of work done.

alas... herin lies a problem. Blender does lack those eye catching buttons.

Instead, blender was equipped with mostly menus.For those who don't "play by key", they would be mostly busy by clicking on the available actions, which resides on a menubar near the ****mode list on the bottom of the 3d window.I've never noticed this until my fith try at blender3d.The command butons are there, they are though placed as a secondary means of access.The only way you might like this is if you are a person who perfers keyboard shortcuts.

You had to search for 4 hours on tons of forums just to find your commonly used keys? You poor thing. you might have saved 3 hours and thirty minutes by using the help menu bar and selecting the "hotkey/ mouse action reference" menu item or just go to the "getting started" menu item.

How many people bother to look at the help manual at all these days before taking an application for a test drive? If it wasn't for looking at the help manual, I'd would have resided w/ merlin3d 1.0 :P

If anyone of you are interested in my 3d art, you may check me out at psiguy.deviantart.com. Thankyou for your responses so far...
Quote:Original post by VertexNormal
I've been using 3d software since I was 12ish, and I can't stand blender. You can get used to anything if you waste enough time doing it. I don't care what features they add to it, I'm never looking at it again until they replace the god awful interface.

Likewise. Unfortunatly none of the programmers behind the UI in Blender seem to understand the basic difference between regular users and power users. Regular users need buttons and menu options for everything they do, power users progressivly replace this with keyboard shortcuts. However Blender doesn't allow anything other than a power user - you're forced to use arcane and unwieldy keyboard commands from the get-go.

All of the long-time users of Blender have of course totally learnt and adapted to this back-assward UI and so are totally blind to its flaws. And as soon as anyone attempts any sane efforts of making it more user-friendly, its ingraned users shoot them down for trying to 'dumb down' their favorite app.

And thats before I've even gone into their non-standard widgets, inconsistant use of widgets and badly placed and named controls.
machine_gun_man, your orange shark car blew me away.

I'm unsure about the context of your post. It's like you took offense to my comments? I didn't say I spent 4 hours looking through forums, I said I didn't want to spend 4 hours in the program trying to get 25 minutes of work done. Everything about the UI in my opionion is badly placed, and ackward to use.

Quote:And thats before I've even gone into their non-standard widgets, inconsistant use of widgets and badly placed and named controls.

*Applause*

Has the blender team ever said anything about the common complaints over their UI, or made any plans to fix it? OrangyTang's post is making me curious.

VN, Golem3D looks cool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement