• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
roos

VC++ 2005 weirdness

This topic is 4876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm testing out the VC++ 2005 Express beta 2... I noticed a couple of weird things, does anyone know about this? 1. When I go to new project, and select "Win32" as the project type, the only type of project template available is "Win32 console". However, in 2003, there used to also be a "Win32 Project" type, which was basically a non-console app, i.e. a windowed app. Where did Win32 project go? 2. I tried compiling a simple app I had lying around that was made with VC++ 2003... But it said "cannot find windows.h", so I looked under Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories. To my horror, there's no listbox to enter include/lib directories like there should be... (?!) Maybe there was an error in the installation process that I didn't notice, but anyways this definitely odd... Anyone had some problems like this? Thanks, roos

Advertisement
I found that with the 2005 beta, you need to install the new Platform SDK with it, and then setup your paths. It's a big download. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Scott

Quote:
Original post by roos
1. When I go to new project, and select "Win32" as the project type, the only type of project template available is "Win32 console". However, in 2003, there used to also be a "Win32 Project" type, which was basically a non-console app, i.e. a windowed app. Where did Win32 project go?

As Scott has said, you will have to download the entire Platform SDK to be able to get access to Win32 projects. Note that there are instructions that you must follow. When you start up Visual C++ you should see a little newsitem box on the bottom left corner that says "Download the PSDK". You will need to click that and read it. It can also be found here.

Quote:

2. I tried compiling a simple app I had lying around that was made with VC++ 2003... But it said "cannot find windows.h", so I looked under Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories. To my horror, there's no listbox to enter include/lib directories like there should be... (?!)

This is a problem with the Beta 2 right now. What you will have to do is for *every* project that you make, manually set the Include and Lib directories though project settings. There was a reported method to have it done automatically in that last link, but I have not seen it work in any cases.

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Quote:
Original post by roos
2. I tried compiling a simple app I had lying around that was made with VC++ 2003... But it said "cannot find windows.h", so I looked under Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories. To my horror, there's no listbox to enter include/lib directories like there should be... (?!)

This is a problem with the Beta 2 right now. What you will have to do is for *every* project that you make, manually set the Include and Lib directories though project settings. There was a reported method to have it done automatically in that last link, but I have not seen it work in any cases.

I was probably just checking in the wrong places, but I had no such luck altering the directories at all, whether per project or not.

The solution I found was to alter the contents of this file:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VCExpress\8.0\VCComponents.dat

And that will set the directories for all projects.

Hope that helps.

Follow these instructions to set up directories in VC++ 2005. Altering the VCComponents.dat is probably risky since there is nothing gaurenteeing that that file will stay, in fact part of those instructions is to delete it.

Oh awesome :) I'm glad it wasn't just me, thanks so much for the help everyone.

roos

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!