• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

bsp questions

This topic is 4721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Long story short: I'm wanting to make a bsp compiler (not to any existing specs like q3). At the moment I have something which opens up an editable .map file and converts it into a list of polys. I want to create a bsp tree from this list. I understand the basic concept of creating a bsp tree, but I don't understand why in this screenshot ( http://img107.echo.cx/img107/7030/shot00072ga.jpg ) the cubes dont create any splits in the polys of the box theyre in. Eg: if you take the plane from one of faces of the cube to split the whole level into child nodes, shouldnt the big box polys be split? But they arent. Whats happening here?

Advertisement
AFAIK, if a Q3 .map poly is on both sides of a splitting plane (like the big box polies are), they are listed in both leaves instead of being split, and the renderer needs to worry about only rendering it once. If you want to split the poly's, you'd need to do it yourself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!