• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newb4ever

HELP!!!PLEASE READ!!!EXPERT PROGRAMMERS WANTED!!!

This topic is 6414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i need some direction! I know nothing about programming,game design,anything! Someone please tell me what to do! My only resorce is the Net...so i can''t go out and buy books on it...is there any way to learn how to program only on the net....im willing to do anything...I just want to be able to program..i''ll start very small just someone help me...when i said small i meant Dos..i have win98 ...jasc animation studio3/psp7...and the immaganation of a 16 yr old dungons and dragons player...becuase i am oh well if any one can help...please email me...or write back on the board! i need any refrence/help/advice/anything i can get! I know i may seem like a newb...because i am...but please help... remember you were all like this before too...i just need some help from some experts! James jamesmckee666@hotmail.com

Advertisement
I would suggest starting with C++. It''s pretty much "the" language these days. Some people say you should start with a simpler language such as BASIC, I don''t agree. For online tutorials, there''s an excellent one over at www.cprogramming.com. Also, just do a search for things like "programming", "c++", "game development", etc... there''s tonnes of resources out there . Really, the only way to learn is to read. Read read read.... read it over and over again until you understand it. And don''t be afraid to ask for help here when you need it, we''re all nice people (Well.. most of us ).

Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck!

All of you, go the the GD Showcase, and download Univerzal. I made it in VB, only about 3 or 4 days work. My next little project, a funky Shaolin-style sidescroller, should be in the showcase by the middle of December, as well.

I don''t care for C++. It is often over-complex, however functional it is. With VB''s Native-code compiler and the advanced compiler options, it is just as fast as any C++ program.

Dude, get a good book on C++, read it over three times, then when youre done, get a book on Windows game programming and learn the basics.

I used Teach yourself C++ in 21 days,
Windows game prgoramming for dummies,
Tricks of the Windows game programming gurus(there a good tutorial on d3d on the cd, and it comes with VC++)

I AM TONY MONTANA!!! YA F**K WITH ME, YA F**K WITH DA BEST!!!

Try the library. I was able to get a lot of good resources when I first started there. Also if you honestley want to start small, but want some quick results, learn how to program gameboy. However, it only offers quick results if you know the fundamentals of C programming. I would suggest you start learning C programming. Then when you feel pretty comfortable with it, switch to C++. From experience, I can tell you that it is better that way because I had one friend I told to take Cprogramming but the other took C++ courses in college, but the first one had a better grasp on it and it was a lot easier to switch to OO. Hope this helps you a bit

Guest Anonymous Poster

Yeah, I agree. Start with C then if you feel like it, move to C++. Also, if don''t have money for an expensive C/C++ compiler like Visual C++ 6.0, you can get a free DOS C/C++ compiler called "DJGPP" from:
http://www.delorie.com
and a free Windows C/C++ compiler called "Dev-C++" from:
http://www.bloodshed.net

You don''t have any books on programming? Check out some of the books at a local library. They are bound to have some for you to use.

quote:

Yeah, I agree. Start with C then if you feel like it, move to C++.

i do not agree - thats a daft idea. why learn the basics in one language then learn the good stuff in another?

C++ != OO
C++ == ++C
start with simple procedural programmes in C++, that way you dont have to put up with the annoying little quirks of C. the learning curve into OO will be smoother that way too.

This topic is 6414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.