• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mizipzor

Need help with string function

This topic is 4723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im coding a little game here. Ive got this string for a merchant that he is supposed to say. Ive made it like this so every merchant can use the same string; "Hi, I can sell you a %o for the price of %p silvercoins, interested?" Where %o is replaced with the object in question and %p is replaced with the price. Ive searched around the msdn but I can seem to find a function that could help med do this. A function that search for the two letter combination %o or %p and replaces them with the right stuff when the function finds it. I did also try to make it into a regular array (which could be easier to manipulate char by char) but it didnt quite work out. Any ideas? Or is there a better way? My ways isnt usually the best :P

Advertisement
If you are replacing text with text, you could use std::basic_string's replace/find methods you can check'em out here plus you have generic algorithms to choose from find a reference here.

if you are going to replace the text with different types of objects (including user-defined types which have an overload stream insertion/extraction operators) when using std::basic_string its best to use string streams.

What's wrong with the good ol' sprintf? :)

btw, the syntax is:

char str[256];

sprintf(str,"Hi, I can sell you a %s for the price of %i silvercoins, interested?",object_name,price);

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Raduprv

Buffer overflow.

Quote:
Buffer overflow.

If you don't check the arguments length, sure. But if you are a careful programmer, that shouldn't happen.

Quote:
Original post by Raduprv

Lack of straightforward unicode support.

In addition to what's been mentioned already you can use FormatMessage (Windows only) or boost::format. Both of these support numbered arguments which makes localization slightly easier.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Lack of straightforward unicode support.

The OP didn't need Unicode.
If you need Unicode, just use a library meant for it. If not, just use whatever works for you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!