Terraformer 2 Terrain Editor... Thanks to All Who Helped

Started by
19 comments, last by Raeldor 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, It's still a little rough around the edges, but my first C++ directx program (a terrain editor) is available for download here... Terraformer 2.0 Some of the features are... WYSIWYG editing and painting functionality Up to 32 textures per terrain Up to 4 textures per tile (chosen from palette of 32) Alpha blending of textures Tile grid display LOD and render distance settings for performance Thanks to all those who helped answer my (sometimes stupid) questions. I am going to spend the next few days tidying up the code and making it more robust. I would be interested to hear any feedback on how to improve it. I do want to add a floating toolbar rather than have everything menu driven, and also add import/export from some popular file formats. I also need to make the paint work on JUST the tiles you have selected if you have chosen to select individual tiles. The next major stage of development will be to allow placement of .X objects onto the terrain which will get saved out with the terrain in XML format for import into an engine. Thanks again everyone.
Advertisement
Don´t know if I just didn´t get the hotkeys, but adding some hotkeys for things like moving, rotating, zooming would be great. Just some keys to make work with your tool more comfortable. Also I would like to see different brush shapes (circle, which is already there, but something like a quad would be great) and paint behaviours, like different gradients for the edges of the brush I´m using, so I can adjust how hard the edge is, or/and something like a noise distribution of the texture painted, so I don´t paint exactly an even circle filled with that texture.
I read you don´t want floating toolbars, but a quick, small toolbar would be great. I dislike those floating things, too. ;)
And one more point on my wishlist: How about putting something like a texture selection on the side of that window? Something like thumbnails for the 32 textures with a scrollbar next to it, in order to select the current texture faster.
Oh yes, and I noticed that the edge points of the terrain seem to stick at their height (0?), kinda confused me.

Besides those points I like it.
Quote:Original post by matches81
Don´t know if I just didn´t get the hotkeys, but adding some hotkeys for things like moving, rotating, zooming would be great. Just some keys to make work with your tool more comfortable. Also I would like to see different brush shapes (circle, which is already there, but something like a quad would be great) and paint behaviours, like different gradients for the edges of the brush I´m using, so I can adjust how hard the edge is, or/and something like a noise distribution of the texture painted, so I don´t paint exactly an even circle filled with that texture.
I read you don´t want floating toolbars, but a quick, small toolbar would be great. I dislike those floating things, too. ;)
And one more point on my wishlist: How about putting something like a texture selection on the side of that window? Something like thumbnails for the 32 textures with a scrollbar next to it, in order to select the current texture faster.
Oh yes, and I noticed that the edge points of the terrain seem to stick at their height (0?), kinda confused me.

Besides those points I like it.

Great feedback, thank you. I will definitely look at making those modifications. By quad, I assume you mean just a square... you see that as being useful for painting, raising the terrain, or both?

Thanks for taking time to check it out!
Would love to see it, but it's missing dll's for me. d3dx9_25.dll. You might want to package it with the zip file.

F451
very nice.

It crashed when i selected grid.

ati x800 xt.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Quote:Original post by Fahrenheit451
Would love to see it, but it's missing dll's for me. d3dx9_25.dll. You might want to package it with the zip file.

F451

Thanks, I have updated the zip with this file.
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
very nice.

ati x800 xt.

Do you have Visual Studio and the DirectX SDK? If I sent you the source would you be able to tell me where it crashes?
Mine always fails to create a new grid. ATI 9600 mobility
The .exe complains about a missing DLL. seems like you supply the debug version in your zip but your compiled app wants the release version. I just renamed the DLL that came in your zip and that works. Except, I can't create a new grid just like the poster above me...

My suggestion is to try to have a better error reporting message and/or use a bunch of tracers (OutputDebugString) because if the user has DebugView installed then he can just have it running at the same time as your app to see all the messages. If you want to invest some time, make so that the trace is logged somewhere and if an error occurs dump it into a file together with some computer specs you pulled out with DX caps. The user (we) could then post/mail it to you.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Quote:Original post by Raeldor
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
very nice.

ati x800 xt.

Do you have Visual Studio and the DirectX SDK? If I sent you the source would you be able to tell me where it crashes?

Sorry, my post was premature, it doesnt crash anymore.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement