• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
valles

What is the best way to debug?

This topic is 4724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using visual studio .net 2003 to create my code, so far the way I've done debugging is with the provided debug terminal where the breakpoint displays the values of the variables in that line of code. I am wondering if there are better tools for this kind of exploration, also if there is a way to allocate a section of memory for the code to operate within, or a way to know if the memory you used is no longer floating around.

Advertisement
It depends on the bug you're trying to track down. Memory leaks generally have their own tools, finding a buffer overflow can use some 'trigger' sort of tools to help, but by and large the step-through debugger is the most common I think.

Different bugs have their own techniques.

For the most simple obvious kind of bugs, a source-level debugger is often a good option.

Bugs which happen intermittently, infrequently and/or in a hardware dependent fashion, and tricker to find. In some cases you can't use a source-level debugger, in other cases it is simply awkward or undesirable to do so.

A postmortem debugger might be useful for debugging occasional server crashes. Instrumentation, checkpointing etc, may be useful for debugging intermittent faults or problems in the field.

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!