• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hoth

MMORPG and Java

This topic is 4769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I am really new to the Game development scene and wish to attempt to create one. I am planning on using Java Applets to create a MMORPG with graphics similar to SNES RPG style. This will be ran off of a mySQL database. The problem is that while I am excellent at figuring out what I want to do and the best way to do it. I do not have any official programming experience with Java. I am a very quick learner given the right examples for what I am trying to acomplish. The first step for me is to figure out how to create a map and layer the map using Java. My thought is that I would build the map using a FOR WHILE loop to lay out the images and possitioning as follows: Draw x-column * y-rows where each column is 32 pixels wide and each row is 32 pixels tall. Once this is drawn insert *.img (Which will be a 32x32 pixel .gif or smaller type image.) from .zip or .jar file into (x,y) <--cell. Repeat until the map is drawn visually. Then somehow copy the positioning of this map for each cell (All of the x and y's) and draw the layers above this. One for the boundries and one for the character placement and another for the transparent gifs to create a nifty 2d feel. So that in the end the map will have cordinates of x,y,z where x is the column, y is the row and z is the layer. Any help on how to accomplish this in Java for use with an Applet would be very very much appreciated. Thanks, You may contact me via this board or my AIM address any time: STRaYDoGiNCZ or email at straydoginc@yahoo.com

Advertisement
The project name escapes my memory now, but try searching via Google. I swear I've seen loads of pages that deal with this..

There may even be several projects on SourceForge that are already doing the same thing..

hth,

Sigh... He asks for Applets and you give him a c++ link. In that case here's an actual c++/sdl 2d mmorpg in progress.

There's a tutorial on this site that covers exactly what you want; and it's an applet.

The advice to pursue something like tetris is a good idea as well. Game developement can be VERY challenging. Good luck!

hmmm... MMORPG you say.. ok.

Anyway, here's some links:

MMO guide
Java NIO (Networking)

Before you start on that spiffy MMORPG of yours, take some time to go over this tutorials:

If you're new to Java, plan on spending some time here!
Killer Game Programming - online book
A Space Invaders tutorial in 29 parts.

And last, but not least a link to Runescape, a MMORPG written in Java. Just to show that it actually CAN be done, but there is a lot of work behind it.

[edit] Forgot the link to the Java Games Forum

[Edited by - Rickmeister on June 17, 2005 8:59:57 PM]

Rock on. Thanks so much. This hopefully will get me off the ground. I am moving this week and am setting up 2 servers to run the game. One for the database and one for the program. Both will be beefy servers running linux. If any of you are interested in helping with game dev. Email me at straydoginc@yahoo.com. No money involed but lots of headaches :)

I happen to know a little bit about the making of Runescape.

A college student (Andrew Gower), from around age 17 to age 19 or 20, worked on Runescape, almost completely by himself. When he was finished, he had a primitive version of (go to www.runescape.com, scroll down, and look for the link to RS-Classic) From there, he was making a bit of money from ads, and hired programmers to help. After about 5-6 years, the engine was reworked, very large scale project. It hasn't changed much, engine wise, from there.

So yeah, it is a possible, but daunting project. Hope you are up to the challenge, and many late nights of programming. =P

Oh yeah, and now he is a muti-millionaire =)

Nice. Well after looking a bit at some java things Im using the Java 2d Engine to develope the game.

I also have a friend who is a professional Java Programmer whoes helping me with the code.

After lots of reading.. Some late nights at coding.. and a lot of coffee.

Anyone know of a good program already out there that creates tiled maps and layers that I can use?

You might wanna take a look at H_o_p_s developer journal. I don't think it has been updated in a while but he did a project in java and it has all the info in his posts. Other than that, good luck on the programming!

As an alternative to Applets, you might consider a Java application that launches via Webstart, which is how Wurm Online does it. This allows you to avoid the limitations of Applets (such as restrictions on server connections). Then again, you can design the same program to be run as an Applet or an Application depending upon the context in which it is launched, so it doesn't really matter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!