MMORPG and Java

Started by
17 comments, last by hoth 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey...

*Warning... little long winded :) *

I myself just started to learn java, and I find the more I learn, the more I like it :) As for your choice of Java 2D, I was wondering if you have looked into OpenGL for Java? May be able to get faster game speeds with that. I wrote myself a little tile map engine a long time ago with DirectDraw7... and then later I converted it to OpenGL when I decided to no longer use MS only code (not flame bait, just personal preference) Anyway... check it out :) If you have any questions on how you could use OpenGL just ask :) mrhodes@hfx.eastlink.ca

Also, you asked about a program for making maps: I used and loved this one, Tile Studio. I just looked up the link for ya: http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

Takes a few minutes to figure out, but once you do you will love it. It allows you to customize the output to anything you like. With it you create a script file that will output the map in a text file. Also, it will output a bmp of the tiles your map uses.

I know I've probably given over 2 cents worth of info, but I'll show you a sample of output for my maps...

DQTILES.bmp32 32385 860 30  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  2 0 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  3 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  5 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  1 4 0  3 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  5 4 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  3 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  4 4 0  5 4 0  1 0 0  1 0 0  2 0 0

That is basicaly the first two rows of my map, but you get the idea :)

Email me if you have any questions about it. I'd love to help you out if I can

Mike
Michael RhodesTiger Studios Web Designhttp://tigerstudios.net
Advertisement
wow.. Thanx so much. Yeah i was wondering about the applet java2d engine thingy. Questions.. Can i use Direct X with Java? And with this webstart thing.. does it require the end user to download anything beyond the regular java stuff? Goal is to make the end user be able to play from any computer using the net. And it run fast enough that it won't die or lag on anything but maybe a dial-up connection.
Using pure Java to do a 2D game isn't overly hard, and won't lag anymore than using anything else, (In Java that is). Java isn't as slow as many C++ fanboys will claim it is, and if you're not doing Doom3 it doesn't matter.

I don't think you can use DX, but there are a few versions of OGL that can be used. But for just 2D, you could get away with the standard inculded stuff, and it also means nothing else to download.

The biggest problem with applets is if they're of any size, you usually have to download them from the sever EACH time you start up, I don't think there is anyway to force an applet to save itself. If you do an applet, AND an application that can run on the same servers, it lets players try the game, then download it. If they ever go somewhere else, they can still play it.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by hoth
Nice. Well after looking a bit at some java things Im using the Java 2d Engine to develope the game.

I also have a friend who is a professional Java Programmer whoes helping me with the code.

After lots of reading.. Some late nights at coding.. and a lot of coffee.

Anyone know of a good program already out there that creates tiled maps and layers that I can use?

Try out TileED Written in Java and quite easy to modify. Supports both "normal" square tiles, and isometric ones.
Okay.. I think I got all my info together to start building this thing. Now the project for this week is to build the servers to handle this.

What I am thinking is having a dual p3 866 with 1g of ram and a 40g hdd setup for the database and a 1.6ghz with 1g of ram and a 30g hdd for production / stage.

In your experiences should this be enough or do I need to maybe switch some things around?

Both will be rack mounts in a server rack in my house with plenty of cooling and air flow.
I wouldn't worry about the servers until you have a working application and an expanding userbase. A standard desktop development machine will be sufficient at this stage for testing and limited numbers of users.

-------------------------0 A.D.
you gonna need a java host.

check out lycos hosting they have some cheap virtual servers that run java.
Like kezz said, he doesn't need any hosts just yet. He can just call 127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1, and get his software up and running.

shmoove
Hmm... Well I am worried about it. I have all the things I need to setup the java environment and server stuff as far as programs, equiptment, bandwidth, and such.

The reason I am setting it up on two seperape boxes is that I am planning on not having to bog my local host down with outside access. And to make sure I have what I need for the next year or so without any major hdd swapping or box switching and then having to config all the ports again for each box. I also house my own website and another website which are currently running on my personal PC. Which is built for gaming and gets re formatted and ghosted as needed. This presents the current problem of backing up the data each and everytime I change a peice of hardware or something goes wrong.

And I do not wish to have extra people accessing my personal box. Even though I have my high end internet connection and 100base T running around my box gets bottle necked and delays access to the outside world.

Also, most of my programming and testing will be done off site so I will need the two boxes for the other developers on the team to access and the websites to be housed.

And due to being as professional in my development attempts as possible I would like to have the boxes seperate from my own box. For the reasons above and the fact that if one box goes down (i.e production) then the database is not gone.

I am also going to work on another box that has about an 80g hdd to run backup for both of the other boxes.

The part where I am still stuck though is the box hardware configurations for my database and for my production/stage/websites.

And now how to make linux perform backups of the database and production code to a seperate box.

Well I have a week now until the planning meeting is set to lay all of this info down and determine what is going to be done first and where the foundation is going to be layed to go full blown into this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement