Woah this is confusing!!!!

Started by
14 comments, last by gumpy 18 years, 10 months ago
I just finished my book on C++, and everything there is as clear as day to me. I just started reading my windows game programming book, and the first few chapters are on using the windows API, and damn is that confusing!! Im curious as to what you experienced people have done, have you memorized all this? Have you saved it all in a header file, or just refer to books or documents when starting a new program. I know I will putting all this stuff that is used in every program (i.e a window and such) into a header file.
Advertisement
Yes, people normally write that stuff once and forget it. I have however had to recall that info and write it without documentation before and was successfull (for an opengl application), but it's not something I'd want to go through again ;). Most people will put the window creation code into a class or even a library so they can use it when ever they want by just including the files and/or linking to the library.
Very few people remember all those declarations, I am one of them. Use the MSDN Library for reference.

The important thing when learning a new API, library or whatever, isn't memorizing every single function, class or type declaration, but knowing that they're there, and knowing how to use them.
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
Windows API is Horrible!
The good news is that you only need to know how to create a window for game programming with a graphics API. Unless you want to make a tool or something. Fortunately, the Win32 API from what I've seen is a bit horrid to look at, but at least follows a similar paradigm with the controls and such.
heh, its all a part of the learning process!!!
cant make games if i cant even make a simple application now can i?

:-P

thanks, i feel better now knowing that I'm not going to be the only programmer who doesnt memorize those :-P

All the charts and attributes I think that are most commonly used like cursor and and icon and window color etc i should remember, or atleast i could write my self a reference sheet, because they are all scattered all over the place in my book :-/
Quote:Original post by Fixxer
(...) or atleast i could write my self a reference sheet, because they are all scattered all over the place in my book :-/

As I said, the MSDN Library is a fast and accurate reference for all your WinAPI programming needs, you should really check it out. If you have Visual C++ installed, it's even integrated in the UI.

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
Quote:Original post by ZedFx
Windows API is Horrible!

No. It's worse.
woot i made my first window!! 117 lines of code :-/

Visual Basic was much easier :P
SDL can greatly simplify game making. However, you have to give up some OS specific functionality in the process (you'll need to make your own graphical user interface widgets for one thing). It's also cross platform meaning that your game will generally work on windows, mac, linux, and more - with a recompile and few if any changes to the underlying code.

You might want to take a look at it if you like the cross platform aspect or aren't planning on using too many features of the windows API.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement