• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shpen

Interested, Dedicated Beginner

This topic is 4873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i am a 14 year old living in Columbia, Maryland. i am educated on how to use a computer. i have been playing games for over 10 years. i have just begun to learn ActionScript for flash mx 2004. i am going to take a multitude of computer programming courses over the summer, and in highschool. i was just wondering if the good people here, could inform me on how to begin my future career in this industy. thank you

Advertisement
4 years ago I was in the same position as you (heh). Now I'm getting ready to go off to DeVry for Game and Simulation Programming. To begin with there are 3 simple steps that you should take...

1. READ
2. READ MORE
3. READ IT ALL AGAIN

This will help you immensely, believe me. Since you're learning AS and have been playing games for awhile, I assume you are familiar with basic logic on a decent level; that's good, keep thinking logically. For me, it's not uncommon to break EVERYTHING down into logic, if at least subconsciously, and think about it. Code is logic, learn it, love it, live by it (though it's not as if you couldn't).

Again, reading is good. Buy books on programming, graphics techniques, math, physics, AI, everything. Start off on beginner level books, read them, study the source code, write your own programs.

When you're learning how to do something, it's always a good idea to read source code and come up with your own implementations. Even if it's a simple demo demonstrating some simple AI using little dots, it's a good thing to code, it gives you practice, and it's always fun to see results.

Taking classes is good as well, though most high school classes concerning computer science I've attended are sub-par, they do give you time to code (which I always loved), and learn more logic and ways of doing things.

After high school, read some more! (I guess I've made this apparent by now (lol)). Choose a good college, and enroll in their computer science programs. If you want, you can choose a specialty school, though some of those are also sub-par. Go with what you feel safe and comfortable with. Most of all though, have fun (and read)!

I hope this helps!

thanks that does help
but also, what would be the best beginner language, and program to go along with it. i was starting AS because i first thought i wanted to be an animator. turns out i just like drawing, not actually animating. but i thought i would try programming and i think its very interesting.

so back to my question. what language should i learn first. it should hopefully be easy and simple to understand, but should help me in other aspects of complicated programing

thank you

You can learn almost anything you want. You may want to look at several different languages and see which type you like the most. I started with BASIC myself, at the age of 10. After that, I moved to VB, and then C++.

I didn't have any problem with learning C++, but I did read alot about it before beginning.

Other languages you may want to try are Java, C, C++, Visal Basic.

Personally, I would say to start with C++ and basic console programs. Look for more opinions though, and do what you feel is best.

I would recommend Python because of it's similarities to C/C++. If you're not interested in that, then I recommend FreeBASIC , which will be somewhat familiar to a couple of people on the board here (although it isn't very widespread, it's still in beta). Or, if you aren't interested in either of those languages (you may not be interested in FreeBASIC especially, it uses a command-line compiler), you can jump straight to C/C++. Google Dev-C++, I can't remember the actual link, but I'll find it eventually.

As for everything else, learning it is just a matter of learning to use your chosen language and practicing. As always, Google is your friend.

Good luck, I'm only 15 myself, and I've been programming for about 5 years, and still loving it.

Hi!

I'm in the same situation right now :). Here's my suggestions:

Start with BlitzBasic. its great and would help you alot. Then, move to C++.

Sincerely,

Samsonite

i am probably going to start out on VB or C++. my father is a programmer so i may ask him for an opinion. also since he is a programmer we have a lot of good C++ and VB books. Thank you everyone for your time and help :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!