Installing Graphics drivers in Linux RedHat Fedora

Started by
13 comments, last by Yamian 18 years, 10 months ago
Okay, heer I am using Linux for the fis=rst time ever and I'm trying to install my graphics drivers so I can have higehr screen resoultions. I'm runnin RedHat Fedora Linux and tryign to install the NVidia graphics drivers. it say "Prior to beginning the installation, you should exit the X server and kill all OpenGL applications" and type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg#.run" but where do I type it? Waht I understand is it wants me to exit my GUI(X) and run this in command prompt. How do I do this?
Advertisement
Good stuff, Fedora, good stuff. Which version are you running (FC4 came out this week, quite awesome)
Quote:"Prior to beginning the installation, you should exit the X server and kill all
OpenGL applications" and type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg#.run" but where do I type it? Waht I understand is it wants me to exit my GUI(X) and run this in command prompt. How do I do this?

It doesn't matter where you type sh NVIDIA-*-.sh, as long as you are root. The easiest way to kill X is to become root and type :

*Note : The alternate method is to (as root) type init 3, however it never worked for me, so I use the method described below.

Quote:
Become root, obviously
su -
We're going to modify inittab, so that Fedora will boot into console only mode. You still have the same privilages/abilities as with runlevel 5 (X) except that X and all it's associated startup scripts will not be activated.
nano -w /etc/inittab

Here, you'll see a line (at the beginning) that reads
Quote:id:5:initdefault

As per the comments at the top of the inittab file, you'll need to change this to 3. Yes, all you need to do is replace the 5 with a 3, like so :
Quote:id:3:initdefault

Reboot, and log in again as root (it makes this easier). Begin the NVIDIA install by typing
Quote:sh /path/to/install/NVIDIA-*-sh

Follow the basic instructions. Remember, when it asks you if you would like it download the kernel modules, say No. Then it will ask you if you would like it to build the kernel modules itself, say Yes. The rest is pi.

The configuration is easily done by having X configure itself -
Quote:Xorg -configure

and adding in the details or you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf manually as described in the install guide. Make sure you make a backup of your current xorg.conf in case something bad happens. Test X out to make sure everything works, re-edit /etc/inittab and set it back to 5, and reboot. You're good to go.
- stormrunner
okay you didn't tell me inittab but a long search had me find it in etc

I ran Xorg -configure and it said 'to test your new server run 'X -configure ...(some file path)' so I run it and my screen goes blank. I need help.

[Edited by - Yamian on June 17, 2005 6:08:53 PM]
okay, with logic i figured out type init 5. I edited the xconfig files and am restartingf right now. Pray it works
YAY IT WORKS! I CAN PLAY UT2004 and ANY WINDOWS GAME!!!
Quote:Original post by Yamian
YAY IT WORKS! I CAN PLAY UT2004 and ANY WINDOWS GAME!!!

You cannot play any windwos game. Only the ones that have a Linux version and ones that don't use anything above DirectX 7 because that's all WINE (a windows emulator) supports. Unless you plan on paying, then there is a better emulator that can emulate DirectX 9 (can't remember what it was called).
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Yeah, it's the new version of WineX called Cedega, and it's only $5 a month, it's totally worth it. I can do practically anything Windows now on Linux, there's no need for Windows to me now =P
Man, this makes me even more angry. I want support for the X800 XL chipset! Now! Damn you ATi! [bawling]

This new "WineX" package sounds awesome. If only the drivers worked, if only.

Oh yeah, FC4 came out? Interesting.
________________________________"Fetch me a rope, lynch mob of one." - Randy Blythe, Lamb of God."The masses are asses." - Unkown.
Quote:Original post by Yamian
Yeah, it's the new version of WineX called Cedega, and it's only $5 a month, it's totally worth it. I can do practically anything Windows now on Linux, there's no need for Windows to me now =P

Awsome I thought it cost way more then that. I might just get a subscription.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Okya, now I'm noticing Linux running slower than Windows =P. Is theer a way to Defrag your Harddisk in Linux?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement