• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
InsaneBoarder234

Updating DirectX SDK

This topic is 4727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I finally made the upgrade to VS.NET 2003 and now I want to upgrade my copy of the DirectX SDK to the latest version. Currently I have the October 2004 version installed as I heard this was the last version that supported VC++ 6. I downloaded the latest SDK update (June 2005) and extracted it to a folder and after extraction I had a window open from an installation program that simply had a number in it (Possibly some kind of error code, I stupidly clicked ok without thinking to take note of it) and now I have a set of folders with headers, libs and other files for the SDK update. Now if I copy these folders to the path where the October 2004 SDK is installed, will that update it properly? Or do I have to download other updates aswell? Anything else I need to do to properly update it? Sorry if these are stupid questions, theres just so many DirectX9 SDK versions and updates on microsoft's website and I got confused with it all :?

Advertisement
Each SDK is a full installer - this means that it will install the entire SDK from scratch. It doesn't require any outdate content to update or anything like that.

You say that the installer may have failed - did it create a new installation of the DXSDK and add links on your Start menu and stuff? If you are just stuck with your temp files, then yes, it did fail. Since it is only recommended having 1 SDK installed at a time, uninstall the old one, and retry this new June one.

If the SDK actually did install correctly, you now have 2 full SDKs installed - the Oct2004 and Jun2005 ones. Your VS2003 paths should already be set to use the June 2005 headers and libraries.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The installer did not install the SDK so I guess it won't hurt to uninstall the old SDK and try to reinstall the June 2005 SDK. At first I thought that the June 2005 update was like a patch for a previous version.

I'll try doing it that way as soon as I've finished sorting out my computer. Last night I had a night of blue screens and eventually couldn't even get into Windows because of them. It seems my oldest hard drive has decided to fail :/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!