Two player breakout - fun?

Started by
11 comments, last by jumble 23 years, 4 months ago
Recently one of my friends has gotten addicted to the classic Breakout / Arakanoid / whatever you want to call it type game. Now, he asked me if it would be possible for me to make a clone with multiplayer over directplay. His idea was for two players each to control a paddle, with at least two balls on the screen at any one time. The paddles can ''cross'' over each other and if any power-ups fall onto both the paddles both the players get it. The player with the largest amount of points at the end would win. I sat there thinking - "Would that actually be any fun?" Oppinuns / ideas please...
jumble-----------
Advertisement
Yes. It would. But the problem is of course: how do you choose which player that hit the ball when they are together? Collision or hit the ball every second time? It just have to be tested. By this date I have still not seen any game built around co-op or comp. pong(TM)-clone. Maybe this is one of these ideas that can work in a 3d-enviroment? Something like Squash? With scrolling looking like GTA? Whatever you choose, try the idea. It must work!
I think that could be fun. The paddles could take turns hitting one ball (ie after player one hits the ball, he can''t hit it again until player two does..that sorta thing). Or you could have the paddles on opposite sides of the screen and make it a combination between pong and arkanoid. Hehehe...But I think Gocontact mentioned both of these ideas, so I''ll just shut up now
what you do is set the paddles up like pong, (one paddle on each side) and have the blocks in the middle.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
And in 4 player game you could have paddles on each side of the arena ..That''d be some co-operation!
Hehe my friend suggested the idea of combining Pong and Arkanoid a while ago, he said to call it Ponganoid The only thing is that with Hasbro owning the rights to those games you''ll have a hell of a time releasing something like that
I was thinking of a sort of ''Tetranoid'' game where one player tried to go tetris style into making the rows, while the other player tried to blast the blocks away... That would have been fun, though maybe a little hard to balance

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Well, it''s been done two different ways. One is a game called warlords, where there''s 4 players, each protecting a corner of the playing area from the other three. When a player lets a ball past his paddle, it breaks his wall, and if it gets past the wall, he loses. Last man standing wins.

The other variation is called Off The Wall, where each player protects a wall, and all the blocks are in the center. Each player loses a life if the ball gets past his side, and the players otherwise cooperate to clear the blocks.

Do they get 4 balls? Or more? That would be fun... 10 balls for 4 players... freaky!

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Having a paddle on each side might work - but in what direction to the powerups fall? Thinking about it, the only feasible ways to do it would be:

To fall towards the player who blasted the brick away
To "take turns" in falling towards each player - ie first powerup released goes to player 1, second to player 2, third to player 1... etc
To fall in a direction depending on what direction the ball hit it in.

And im not worrid about Hasbro, I dont plan to release any of my games.

And the balls - i could just allow the player to set the number of initial balls and powerups could get more balls.

The cooperative idea would work though - but its already been done. Im currently looking for a semi-original game on my behalf to write for my next project (i''ve only done tetris, breakout and a snake clone so far - nothing original or fun)
jumble-----------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement