My First Game (another one, aren't u tired?)

Started by
7 comments, last by Dko 18 years, 10 months ago
I finally finished everything I will do for my first game: pong. Did I want to do more? Yes. I didn't mainly because I felt that the game just wasn't fun. If it was fun I would have loved to have added more features (and made it better graphic wise) but I didn't. The short story: Fun: No! Inventive: No! Stunning Graphics: No! Perfect: No! My First Game: YES! Without furthur ado I present... Pad Warz(aka pong in every other language)
Advertisement
Well don't get discouraged because your first game isn't spectacular, after all, it is your first game. Just be proud you finished a game.

I can't play it because I don't have DX9, so I can't offer critism about the game.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
I don't know what game you played justin (even though you made it), but the game I played was pretty fun, had good graphics (nice particles). Only a few problems that I noticed:

#1: The ball always goes back the way it came. If it was going from top to bottom and hits my paddle, it should keep going up, just reverse its horizontal course.
#2: The ball bounced off of nothing a couple times. I'm assuming it was the spinning blocks, but there was nothing there.

You had a nice intro and everything. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Ok, two more things:
#3: Evidentally you're just checking the star's x and y. This works good, but it gives graphical errors (like the star going almost through the paddle on the right). A good solution is to check StarX and StartX + StarWidth (same for Y). This way its checking for collision on all sides intstead of just the left and top.

(Number 4 is more of an opinion)
#4: Your controls are backwards. Shouldn't left shift and control move the left player and up/down move the right?

I have to change your rating:
Fun: 5/10 (the reversing gets annoying after about a minute)
Inventive: 7/10 (I thought your block idea was pretty inventive)
Stunning Graphics: 7/10 (You have a particle emitter in your first game, plus an intro)
My First Game: YES!

Edit 2: I agree with deadimp. I programmed for about 4 years before I finished my first game (also a pong remake.)
Is "d3dx9_25.dll" a part of the DirectX 9.0c Summer package? I don't have it on my computer, but I can run DX9 programs.
And plus, don't be so hard on yourself, you've actually finished a game. I have never finished a game until just a few months ago, after 3 years of programming games, and even then it was relatively short.
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
I don't know what game you played justin (even though you made it), but the game I played was pretty fun, had good graphics (nice particles). Only a few problems that I noticed:

#1: The ball always goes back the way it came. If it was going from top to bottom and hits my paddle, it should keep going up, just reverse its horizontal course.

#2: The ball bounced off of nothing a couple times. I'm assuming it was the spinning blocks, but there was nothing there.

You had a nice intro and everything. Keep up the good work!

Hehe... thanks :)

I appreciate your comments! Yea I agree with both your points. As far as point 1 goes, I tinkered with that for a while and finally after not getting anywhere I just said if I get some time I'll mess with it later. But for now I just wanted to be finished, heh. Yea those are the vortex (block thingys), and from what I understand it's because at the exact moment it creates a block, it kills it, and it doesn't have time to render... that is a problem. And one I might fix later!! Another error I don't know if you noticed but for some reason my explosions their yellow colors weren't "blowing up" in the same position as the other colors (didn't look into that).

I guess I was a bit modest. I think I did fairly good on my first game. In the beginning I had no clue what I was doing and well I still don't know my D3d functions to a T but I'm a lot better.

My only complaint is that my code is messy, but that will come with more practice...

I've already got my idea for my next small game, after that one I will attempt to do a Side-Scroller (I'm sorta scared to tell you the truth...)

Thanks again.
~justin
How do you win pad warzs? All i see is a ball bouncing back and forth and my score going up for some reason. Also the ball doesnt go past the paddle like in pong
Quote:Original post by Gink
How do you win pad warzs? All i see is a ball bouncing back and forth and my score going up for some reason. Also the ball doesnt go past the paddle like in pong

It bounces off the wall, and gives the player opposite the wall a point. I don't know what the score goes to though.
Quote:Original post by Gink

ummm yea... funny thing... you don't win :P

there isn't a win function... haha; mainly because i was testing and also b/c the game is so slow i didn't know what to set the win factor at! (score win = 5? 10? 20? 100???)

i thought the game was a lil more fun with more items to work with... but yea i'm not sure i'll take suggestions tho

i also had a item collision detection, but i commented it out b/c it was a lil buggy... (collision wasn't perfect enough for me :P)
Seams like the hardest thing in pong is the collision detection. So many peaple have problems with it. Like my self. >.o Had a good pong clone going (Was to be my first game) But I could never get the collision detect to work right and finnaly gave up after a few days. V_V Ill try again later after im more learned

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement